Saturday, July 2, 2016

Farmer's market, week 2

Week 2 of the city's Farmer's market. I bought rhubarb (been dying to make a pie), more beets with greens, carrots, broccoli, 3 med sized Summer squash

2 large heads Black seeded Simpson leaf lettuce and waxed beans. I used another $2 off coupon from the Penny Saver, total spent: $16. I aim to keep it around $20/week.

Once again, I took the city bus, and once my purchases were made, I went to the central stand where the information area is and the coordinator from last week recognized me, and immediately knew why I was there. Got my TWO free passes to use the bus for one ride. Awesome. As I was waiting at the bus depot, I struck up a conversation with another city local, and told her about the free passes back on the bus system. She was thrilled to learn of it, and went and received her free pass as well.

5 comments:

meme said...

That is such a great incentive to use the Farmer's Market - the free bus pass back. Love the look of your homemade pizza - so much better than store bought.

Lili said...

That's great!
How does the produce you're buying at the farmer's market compare to your past CSAs? In price, quality and variety?

CTMOM said...

Meme, circumstances require that I be extra vigilant, financially, this Summer as I transition to another career/job. Not to mention, more scratch cooking to watch my sodium intake.

CTMOM said...

Lili, I had calculated $40 worth of food per CSA pickup. I am doing FAR better, as anticipated, by frequenting the Farmer's market. 8 items for $16 so call it $2 per vegetable and some are multiples such as 3 med sized squash for $2. I am pleased.

meme said...

I also watch my sodium intake - choosing foods that are lower in salt, marked sodium free, etc. When I am in the supermarket and, for instance, choose lower sodium soy sauce, it is usually at a slightly higher price - same with other lower sodium products. I wish that was not so. I have been trying to eat more "clean" so the food is just naturally low salt.