Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Today's lunch, big task completed,feeling old

 Inspiration for today's lunch at home: leftover baked beans
 Buns from the freezer
 What few condiments remain on hand in this rental, an opened package of beef franks
 Hotdogs and beans it was!
 Earlier this week, I cleared out the lower kitchen cabinets, transporting and storing it at the condo. Today, I officially finished the upper cabinets. The kitchen seems to be the biggest chore, outside of the actual furniture pieces.Remaining over the microwave are assorted, special lightbulbs (Ll left them, I added some I had, and won't need at the condo)
 EMPTY!   I also did a Goodwill run today, there will be at least one more before we move on Thurs, possibly a final one this weekend (final walkout inspection with the LL is Mon). I've made some real progress.

I've kept the A/C on at the condo, noting that the programmable thermostat on the second level, had a low battery warning message. It was warm up there. I bought fresh batteries, reprogramed the thermostat, and although set for 74, it was reading 78 the next day. Hmmm . . . time passes, and now it's 83. By the looks of one of the 2 units outside, it must be the second one that is broken. I will have to reach out to the new LL, request a service call.  What is the life expectancy for these units? If it is original, it's 11 years old. Waiting, as far as I am concerned is not an option. The condo was marketed as having central air-I expect it to work. Sweating to sleep? no thanks.
 I can count on 4 occassions now, when I can't recall whether or not I have taken one of my Rx's. Doubling doses is NOT recommended so, I have skipped or possibly skipped 4 times-something that also is not recommended but the lesser of 2 options. Today, I stopped in at Dollar Tree and found this easy to open with my hand issues, pill organizer. Yes, I am feeling old.

11 comments:

Kathy said...

ugh sorry about the a/c...hopefully it just needs some freon or something. Good luck!

Rhonda said...

If the AC unit seems to be running and blowing, it probably just needs a refill of freon. That's an easy fix, by a trained professional anyway :)

Marcia in rural WNY said...

Yes, I have one of the medication holders and I fill it up weekly. The first of many things which will make you feel older as life goes on. I won't spoil it by mentioning them.

Anne in the kitchen said...

A/C is necessary for me. Call the LL!

Belinda said...

I could not sleep without a/c. I'd call the LL too.

Humble wife said...

Thought I'd stop by and thank you for your visit and your return visit to share your thoughts on the freezer meals. I am going to visit for a bit...
Jennifer

Kathy said...

Oh I was checking apps to see if there was any that might lower my oop prescription costs, and I ran across medicine reminders that might be handy.

mikemax said...

I was having trouble with my central A/C unit this week. I called the HVAC guy (a neighbor) and he said to go look if there was ice on the unit. Yes, both to when I looked down into the condenser and on some connections outside the unit. He told me that probably resulted from a dirty furnace filter (which you will likely be responsible for changing while you live there). He told me to turn off the A/C, go buy a new filter (he was right--it was filthy, and air wasn't passing through), change the filter, and turn the A/C back on when the ice melted (it was 98F that day, so didn't take long). Solved the problem.

If your unit has an outdoor condenser, like mine, a fuse could be blown. We have had this happen before. Take the fuse to a place like Ace Hardware and buy a new one exactly like the old one. We have two fuses that look like ammunition in ours. (If your DX is at the condo painting, ask him to take a look at the fuse box, since we know you used to be married to MacGyver and he'll be able to tell you in about 20 seconds if that's the problem).

If this does not get the condenser going, I'm sorry to say that you may need a new unit, which I'm also sorry to say is going to cost the new LL about $2,000 to replace. But, if you have the type of A/C I have (part of a forced-air furnace system), try the other things first. I can guarantee that your LL will be pi**ed to pay for a service call for a dirty filter, even though you had nothing to do with it being dirty. So, if you've got a forced air system, take a look at that first.

Ellie said...

Cheaper A.C. models will last about 10 years according to the tech. that serviced mine this Spring. Our home is that old and was a rental before we bought it, so I'm trying to save for a new one. Hopefully, your new landlord will send the tech. out quick to fix the problem.
I need to use a pill organizer too, as I run into the same problem you do. Did I take the meds. or not?
Best of luck with the move this weekend.
- Ellie

mikemax said...

I take 2 medications in 3 capsules (have to take two different strengths to get right dose). All are once every 24 hours. I find I am more likely NOT to forget to take the meds if I do it at night. Been doing this about a month and haven't missed any. Also, I turn the bottles over when I have taken the pill. Although I couldn't tell you whether the bottle should be right side up or wrong side down on any given day, I instinctively know if I've taken the pill when I see the bottle. (It's a gift, LOL).

Linda said...

I have the little medicine dividers. But, if I put them in my purse, they open on their own. Some days, I take pills and obviously miss my mouth because I find various pills under furniture, in the bed, one the counters. I seriously doubt this is an old age problem.