Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Veggie burgers

 Today's lunch menu at home: Aldi's veggie burgers
 Here are the ingredients; appearance and tastewise, they remind me very much of the expensive Dr Praeger's brand:

Image: http://www.foodandwinechickie.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Dr-Praegers-Box-640x285.jpg
I don't recall how much I pay for these, but certainly far less than the $6/box for the good Dr's.

Here they are, baking off in the mini oven. Caroline: you may recognize your bar pan!

I want to try my hand at making my own, I already have a great black bean burger recipe. This effort is both due to economics as well as health reasons (gotta reduce the salt!). I have a lot of pantry items I can use, mostly organic, too: 2 types quinoa, farro, 2 types lentils, 2 types split peas, dried large limas/pintos/black beans; brown/Basmatti rice. I am looking at these as an alternative protein source.

Do you have any tried and true recipes to share? I did come across this great link today, from Food52:

http://food52.com/blog/17028-12-veggie-burgers-to-keep-non-meat-eaters-happy-at-every-summer-cookout?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+food52-TheAandMBlog+%28The+A%2BM+Blog%29

5 comments:

Beth said...

Wow, I live in CT also and get the Dr. P's burgers at Trader Joe's for $3.50/box. Stop & Shop and Big Y also carry them but I wait for a sale otherwise they're too pricey. I tried the Aldi brand(love Aldi) but found them drier with a texture I didn't love. For the price difference(under a $1) I go with the Dr. P's. Thanks to your blog posts I'm cooking more and paying more attention to pinching the pennies. Thanks for sharing so much great information; good luck as you move forward in this new chapter.

Liz Bernard said...

This isn't favourite - the oat flour is just porridge oats whizzed up in a food processor and I have subbed brown rice for quinoa at times. I make batches and freeze. Best of luck with your house move and career changes.

Kathy said...

I think I am going to try making black bean burgers again, and see if the family likes them. Thanks for the link.

Liz Bernard said...

Sorry - that should read this IS my favourite and I don't know where the link went! The recipe is No Crumble Black Bean Burgers from whereyougetyourprotein.

Laura said...

My favorite veggie burgers are the recipe from The Homemade Pantry by Alana Chernila. The recipe is posted on the Splendid Table's website here: http://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/veggie-burgers

My own burgers made from this recipe look nothing like the one pictured. In fact, I think I see pepitas in that burger and those are not in the recipe. So if you make them, don't get set on that particular photo outcome!