Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Kitchenware

As I was cooking the other night, it occurred to me that the bulk of what I own was either gifted to me 30 years ago as I married, or thrifted items such as those pictured above. The covered casserole was a Freecycle find, the Dutch oven was purchased on the second hand market as part of a camping kitchen box for when I ran a Girl Scout troop. Seems silly to even entertain the thought of ever buying something new, as far as housewares goes, when the quality and price points of older items are far more favorable.

2 comments:

Lili said...

Thank you for saying this Carol. My cookware is a rather motley assortment of hand-me-downs and a couple of purchased pans, and I sometimes find myself wanting a shiny, new set. You set it in perspective, for me.

mikemax said...

I bought a new set of pots and pans about 13 years ago, because my 35-year-old Revere (a Christmas gift the first year I was married) had been burned up too many times and was pretty wonky. Otherwise, most of my kitchenware came as wedding gifts or was bought at thrift stores. (I think the best deal out there is used Corningware). I also have my mother's aluminum turkey roaster and measuring cups and my MIL's pressure canner. I'm thinking about selling the roasting pan and pressure canner, but I'm not ready to let go yet. My DS's kitchenware mostly came from my mom, and some from MIL. His proudest possessions are my mom's cast iron frying pans, circa 1940. Uses them every day.