Sunday, May 15, 2016

Getting ready for the move

Image: http://www.birdittmoving.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/packing.jpg

With my 3 quotes (never did receive the written quote from the low ball, no tax aka "fly by night" mover), I have decided to again use the company I used when I moved here. Although we have less stuff, we are moving a greater distance, and the quote is comparable to what I paid last time. The other quote is about $700 more. I will call within the next week and get an actual date.

The landlord stopped by yesterday, as planned. She meet yesterday with another prospective tenant and will meet today with a family that I showed the rental to. Either would be for July 1. I mentioned that we could vacate as soon as June 15th, as the boys graduate the week before, my own work will be winding down. The family that she is meeting with today, indicated June 1 if not June 15 to me. If the LL agreed, I am willing to do June 15th, but only if that translates into only paying for 2 weeks of rent here, otherwise, I will take my time thru the end of June, to ready to home to turn over.

The LL was a bit disgruntled about the front planting bed, which is not my legal responsibility, per the lease. We actually discussed outside responsibilities as the lease was drawn up. One of the reasons the LL came, was to pull some dead, small shrubs that were lost due to the harsh winter of 2015. I do not know if she intends to replace them, she didn't say. I am willing and have made arrangements with my landscapper to have some minor weeding, trimming done and the mulch replaced. This is being done as an effort to keep the peace. I am not willing to do more.

My DD suspects that we will be dinged on the security deposit for normal wear and tear. We've been here 2 years and have taken very good care of her home. It will be throroughly, deeply cleaned when turned over. Yesterday, I cleaned the oven. DD swept cobwebs in the garage. We have had the wall hangings removed, holes spacked as per the lease. We have "Magic erased" scuff marks, including those that existed when we moved in. Yes, paint will need to be touched up over spackled holes and along wall edges at entrances-that's normal. Sigh . . I hate this part.

My monthly cleaning service is Wed, then I start to pack boxes. We are anxious to move and start a new chapter in our lives, with additional changes. Opportunities come with change, which I am looking forward to.

5 comments:

meme said...

I certainly hope the LL won't try to deduct some of your security deposit for normal wear and tear - it really sounds like you don't have much wear and tear (except what you mentioned of the wall near the front door). Did you take pictures of the home prior to placing your furniture? That could help you in case the LL starts to charge you for "this, that and the other".

Ms. Sandie said...

Just curious. Did the landlord accept the information that the flower beds were NOT part of the lease? In my own business lease, I am constantly amazed at how much the property owner doesn't honor their part of our agreement, and constantly tries to get me to take on what is written as their responsibility. I believe that your current LL is much better than your previous LL. I am disappointed in this new attitude.

CTMOM said...

Meme, understanding that there was a MAJOR spruce up prior to our tenancy (tile floors in 2 baths, all new bath fixtures except for the tub, new kit appliances, redid the floors on the first level, replacement windows, repainted living room/hallways both up and down stairs/2 bathrooms etc) there should be "normal wear and tear" as it was lived in. We have kept the house up. Sigh. As she later explained just before moving, when she had a chance to reflect/calm down a bit (not that she was angry), she said that 2 years ago as we entered the rental, the front bed was beautiful, she expects it to be in like condition. Her BF was with her, they pulled the dead shrubs, he clipped some too tall branches on other shrubbery. This is a final peace offering: I am having the front bed weeded (wouldn't have been an issue if she replaced the mulch yearly), a few other plants clipped back, mulch put in. DONE. I will fulfill all of my obligations as outlined in the lease: top off oil tank, clean chimney, get lawn moved weekly, fill all nail holes with spackle. DD suggested raiding the paint cans she has down cellar and touching up the paint ourselves. We may just do that. Additionally, she referenced her newly redone floors (they did it themselves or had an amateur do it: wood under baseboard registers remains the original dark stain, someone kept the sander on too long and there are swirls in one area in the den). I do see some scratches, I will apply Old English scratch cover to those areas and be done with it. Yes, current LL has been awesome, especially compared to the former one. I am less than pleased with her current mindset. We lived her 2 years, a family of 6 for one of those years-there will be worn areas-just nothing agregious. We plan on taking a video of all of the rooms and possible problem areas. Case in point: in the master bath there is a brownish shower curtain rod; within a week of our tenancy, a large chunk of the brown paint came off. Will she charge me? do I buy some Krylon paint and hope it matches? She had installed shower curtains and liners. I have washed the liners but they were worn out. I replaced them, they are white, not clear like the original ones-will I be charged? I can only hope to keep a positive attitude and hope for the best which is full return of my monies.

CTMOM said...

Sandie, she was upset and our conversation(see reply above) just before she left was OK. I agreed to cover the mulching as an olive branch. DD feels that LL will pull this on other items within the house: there wasn't a scratch on this floor, there wasn't a chip/scratch on the bottom of the bathroom cabinet as it was new, etc. A month from now, it will be over, hopefully.

meme said...

Hi - that is more than enough of a peace offering - doing the spruce up with the flower bed! I honestly hope the LL does not nit pick with a fine tooth comb all over the house - like you said - in a month it will be over - hopefully. LL should not really be charging you for the shower curtain rod losing some paint - perhaps they repainted it just before you moved in and the paint just fell off - maybe it was painted with low cost paint that was not going to hold up....