Monday, February 8, 2016

Soup on a snowy day



This is the large batch of soup that I made this morning. I called out of work late yesterday afternoon, and schools had eary dismissals today, due to a long lasting snow storm. Still feeling poorly, and anticipating feeding 4 for lunch (still had some leftovers to offer as well), as well as needing to return to work with soup in hand tomorrow, I made this.

I started with 3 carrots, 2 branches of leafy topped celery, 1/2 of a large onion all diced and sauteed in some reserved bacon fat.

The leftover wax/green beans/carrots/brussels sprouts from last night and a few l/o cubes of roasted butternut squash were chopped, then added to the pot along with the contents of 2 aseptic boxes of low salt beef broth, a large can of low salt "V8",  2 large peeled potatoes that I diced, the rest of a wedge of cabbage (about 1/6 of  cabbage?) that I hand shredded, a Bay leaf, black pepper, some dried Italian herbs. I let this simmer.

Meanwhile, I mixed up a batch of mini beef meat balls: 1 egg, 1 1/2 cups homemade cracker/bread crumbs, 1/3 cup dry milk powder plus 7 oz water *(we are out of milk), homemade "Mrs Dash" all purpose seasoning, 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan, 1 lb ground beef,, some dried minced onion, garlic powder, dried Italian herbs. I used a teaspoon for a rough measure nd dropped the rolled and formed meatballs while raw, into the simmering soup. Once they float, I know that they are cooked. I then added 1/2 of a pkg of egg noodles.

This really hit the spot. 2 tubs for toting to work are filled as welll as a large, plastic storage tub of soup for this week. Got several items out of the pantry, used up leftovers-it's a win-win.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Looks delicous!
I love how you are able to use up foods, and turn them into delicous meals. I really need to get better with this...wasted food is wasted money. :(

Belinda said...

This looks so good! :)