Sunday, February 7, 2016

Bulk batch cooking

 Unexpected snow day Friday translated into the boys and I being home. Although I felt awful with a cold, I took advantage of being home to plan ahead with some freezer assets, this time, frozen lasagna. This would also get the remaining lasagna noodles and canned spinach out of the pantry. Black pepper, Italian herbs, garlic powder and minced onions  as well as 2 29 oz cans of tomato sauce were also used.
 I grabbed my last tub of ricotta, the 2 tubs of cottage cheese that I recently bought, planning on doing this lasagna next weekend, while on February break. The remaining herbed Parmesan was taken out, alomg with the regular Parmesn-Roman cheese, some frozen Italian cheese that I shredded (a mix of mozzarella, Provolone), eggs.
 I set up my assembly station.
 I mixed up the spinach filling, and made a simple marinara sauce.
 Ready to go.

I made 3 trays of lasagna, baked one for lunch, froze the other 2. A good use of an unexpected day off.

4 comments:

Kathy said...

Lasagna looks delicious!

CT Bargain Mom said...

Have you ever had a problem freezing and thawing the no-boil noodles getting all overly soft?

CTMOM said...

CTbargain, no there have been no issues.

meme said...

great idea for an unexpected day off! we had no school either on Friday - and now - no school today (Monday)