Wednesday, January 13, 2016

What's been cooking?

 4 small cans of tuna turned into 4 good sized, tuna cakes
 1 28 oz can Hanover baked beams from Dollar Tree
 1/2 bag each of freebie "baby carrots" and fzn Brussels sprouts were steamed

 Fish on Monday, with homemade tartar sauce , using y own zucchini relish
 Lots of popcorn lately
 Tuesday: sundried tomato Italian sausage hot pot, using Frugal queen's recipe with some adaptations, to clear out what was on hand

Wednesday is dinner for 2 as the boys have dinner with Dad. DD and I are having beef burgers on toast, l/o scallopped potatoes, fzn sugar snap peas
I had about 1/3 of a lb of the beef leftover, so I made a quick soup: the 1/2 of an onion from the fridge, 2 carrots, the rest of the celery sticks from the holidays, 2 more branches of celery, 1 pint home canned tomatoes, 1 qt low salt beef broth (Dollar Tree), black pepper, 1 bay leaf, some dried Italian herbs, the rest of the pok choy, about 8 long in the tooth mushrooms,1 cup quinoa elbow macaroni. Smells good! It'll most likely be for lunches this week

6 comments:

mikemax said...

Hey, Carol! How do the Dollar Tree baked beans taste compared to Bush's or B&M? I like Bush's the best, but I have B&M as a reference.

Also, "long in the tooth" is an old family saying...along with some I can't publish here, LOL.

CTMOM said...

Max, Hanover is a familiar brand to me, they also have canned and fzn vegetables. I'd compare them to Bush's more than B & M (both brands I like, preferring B & M as I grew up w/ them). They are very good-the hanover ones.

Kathy said...

Looks good! Do you make your tuna cakes like salmon patties?

CTMOM said...

yes, this batch didn't have any grated carrot, which I usually do. I needed to quickly get dinner done.

meme said...

Boy - did that soup look good !

mikemax said...

Thanks for the heads up on Hanover. It is not sold in my part of the world through normal distribution channels. I was at DT today and forgot to look!