Saturday, January 23, 2016

Saturday: snowed in

 Slept in a bit, but still up before 6:30 this morning, it's all relative. Knowing of the strong possibility of power outages, I was sure to get the laundry done early. Fire going since I got up, I got 3 HE XL loads done, machine drying one load of towels, the rest is hanging on various racks I have. Watching my pennies, hoping to reduce the electric bill to below $100.






 
 Breakfast was a fridge cleanout: a potato/onion/pepper/bacon/combo Munster and Cheddar cheese quiche. Only one piece remains, so I am guessing that this went over well.
DS texted me early this morning, asking if he and the GF could crash here after work this afternoon. While we are a 10 minute car ride away, based on the heavy snow coming down, the lack of any plows coming down the local streets, I am anticipating that he will decide to stay, not arriving until sometime before 3 (off @ 2). I had planned on clam chowder for just DD and I, now there are 4, possibly 6 for supper. I can stretch what I have with 2 cans cr corn, milk, black pepper, butter, onion, l/o scallopped potatoes that I can dice up. Saltines on the side.

6 comments:

meme said...

your soup looks like it is going to be good! My husband makes a homemade potato and corn chowder that I have been craving -- I think this is a good weekend to have it! Stay safe with the snow -- our area in MA is going to miss the storm

Florence said...

Hope your power stays on but you are prepared anyway.

CTMOM said...

Foot of snow, but never lost power.

mikemax said...

Got a question for you, Carol. Is $100 your total electric bill, or just your usage? (not including service delivery charges, etc. If it is just usage, how much more do you pay the light company to deliver the electricity?). Do you have an electric hot water heater? Good luck reducing your bill. I'm the one in the family always running around and turning off lights at our house!

CTMOM said...

Max, looking to lower my COMBINED (all fees included) electric bill to $100. It was $122 this past month.

mikemax said...

Wow, that's good. The fees are what really drive up my bill. My usage is average or below for a house this size, and I heat water and cook with gas.