Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Oil bill

Image: http://fleetowner.com/site-files/fleetowner.com/files/archive/blog.fleetowner.com/trucking-straight-talk/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/truck-diesel-fuel-home-heating-oil.jpg

I noticed that the oil tank was just below 1/2 a tank, so I called the oil delivery company and left a message for them to come and top off the tank. The arrived this morning, left a bill in the mail box . 124.5 gallons @ $1.59/gallon. Super cheap! We've used more oil than I would like, and I attribute this to 2 things: teen sons and long showers (Grr!), and exclusive use of the furnace (been too hot until recently, to even contemplate using the wood stove).

So, moving forward, I must insist that showers are shortened, and we'll be using the wood stove in the evenings, and hopefully all weekend long.

6 comments:

Belinda said...

That is super cheap for oil. I heard the other day that gas is under $1.00 a gallon in one Illinois town. Not good for oil drilling companies in the US though as some of them have filed for bankruptcy already.

TrayceeBee said...

There is a small oil company in our town that will sell only to the residents here and slightly into the neighboring towns. They do this to keep their costs down and pass the savings on to us. Although we don't need oil as of yet, we are just at 1/2 a tank and this company requires a 150 gallon minimum, I was curious what their price was after reading your post...$1.32/gallon! I hope it stays this low until I need to order more! =)
I hear you about teenagers and showers....I have two teen girls who like long baths and showers! My youngest tries to sneak in a bath in the late afternoon (she says to relax from the school day) and then a shower in the morning! We have an electric water heater so, while I don't get hit up on the oil, I definitely DO electric and water bill wise!

meme said...

Maybe a small "oven timer/baking timer" will work for the showers -- setting it for a certain number of minutes - and when it goes off -- you are done your shower! They can just put it on the bathroom sink so they can hear it when it goes off.

NAN said...

OK gals, what do you consider a long shower? Mine are pretty fast but I don't condition my hair often or shave much LOL. I don't think I ever said much about my kids showers- I was happy they did it without prompts heehee. Carol, do you sons cook at all? It seems you do all the meal planning, prepping and cooking except for occasionally help from your daughter. Not fair in my book unless you want it that way. I always take all the help I can in the kitchen. I do love my crock pots.

CTMOM said...

Nan, over 15 minutes is a long shower IMO. My sons cook minimally (youngest with special needs one requiring supervision). Don't mind running the kitchen as I do.

CTMOM said...

Meme-yes, there is a kittchen timer that I use for them.: )