Friday, January 15, 2016

Blackbelt frugality: turning to frozen assets and the pantry

 Getting more "non DASH" diet foods out of the house: canned pintos (I will rinse these), refried beans, Mexicorn, jarred taco sauce (Dollar Tree find). I am eliminating items, finding substitutes, such as Goya low salt beans or making my own from dried and freezing ahead in 2 cup increments.
Frozen asset: scraps of roast chicken, which are perfect for tacos. I heat up wthe meat with the rinsed beans, along w/ my own, no salt taco seasoning and about 1/4 cup water. Once the water evaporates, it's ready!  We'll have these on flour tortillas (DT) spread with "bean paste" aka refried beans with choice of Romaine lettuce, chopped tomato (my last Canadian hot house one), home shredded Colby-Jack cheese.




 Just 2 for supper tonight as DD has been away for a few days, one kidlet woke up @ 3:30 a.m., vomiting literally everywhere. Ugh! After cleaning the mess, and sending him to the shower (it was THAT bad), I may have gotten 20 more minutes of sleep. Yep-off to work as we're in semester exams, but I only had one, so left immediately afterwards.

7 comments:

Kathy said...

Hope your son feels better, and I hope no one else catches it.
Hope you have a restful weekend.

thyme2save said...

Get well, kidlet, and hope the illness does not spread.

Mary Lou said...

My son-in-law had a 24 hours stomach virus last weekend.

Hope it passes quickly for your son. Stomach issues are the worst.

meme said...

Good thoughts sent to your son....

Julie Vidani said...

hoping no one else gets the flu!

Belinda said...

Oh no, I hope your son is feeling better today, Carol.

CTMOM said...

Knock on wood, no one else seems to have caught the stomach bug. DS who was ill seems to now be fighting a cold.