Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Cooking from the pantry and planning ahead for supper

 one lb of ground beef and one lb of ground turkey, cooked together. While this is some of the 73% beef I recently got on marked down, beef remains significantly higher than the ground turkey @ $1.89/lb tube. Cooked with a large chopped onion, I feel that the blander turkey picks up some of the flavor fom the juices of the beef. I've done this 50-50 blend in meatloaf, meatballs as well as this family favorite casserole dish, it works well for me.
 Here is the completely browned, mixed crumbles of meat-it all looks like beef, IMO. This was spread into a 13 x 9 x 2, Pam sprayed glass dish.
 Next, the potato layer: doctoring up some instant spuds, adding plenty of pepper and some onion powder.
 The whipped spuds
 also evenly spread over the meat, forming a layer
 About 1 cup's worth of leftover corn joined the mix
 before I topped it with 2 can's worth of creamed corn
 then dotted the top with butter. A kidlet can pop this into the oven while I am at PT later this afternoon.

Just out of the oven!
 Ingredients for an apple-raisin slaw, finished up the bit of cabbage from one head and used about 1/2 of the other. We consume a lot of cabbage as salads, in soups this time of year.


My finished slaw, now "marinating/blending" until supper time.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

I look forward to reading your posts...you are so darn organized and inventive. Thank you so much for all the tips! :)

Rhonda said...

Both dishes look delicious!