Friday, December 25, 2015

A few "Ah hah!" moments this week

Image: https://img0.etsystatic.com/020/0/8093375/il_340x270.566718046_8v5x.jpg

I used to own a glass relish tray, but I can't find it: it's still packed somewhere, broken or lost. I knew that I'd be doing a relish tray for Christmas eve, yet didn't want to use multiple small bowls, or buy one.

Then I remembered:

 I MUST still have this, divided tray from Tupperware! Sure enough, I quuickly found it in a box in the garage (don't ask). Perfect.

Last year, about this time, I used gift money to buy 2 new sets of everyday flatware. I selected Cuisinart, black handled sets only to have the black, "painted on" plastic part start coming off! I was far from happy about them, but glad that Kohl's took them back, no questions (I still had the receipt). I still needed to replace my old flatwear that literally has been falling apart. Then I remembered:

I still have my "good flatware" Oneida stainless steel that I received from various family members/friends for my wedding in 1987. It was rarely used, like my china (still debating what to do with that)so why not use it? It's not overly fancy, is quality, it's already owned!
Problem solved! I did keep a few of my ratty,  really worn out, older flatwear for work lunches. Should I lose any of those, I really won't care. My nicer stuff, I'd be upset.

3 comments:

meme said...

I own the exact same flatware - -- bought it around the same time as you received yours - I am still using it !

CTMOM said...

Meme-it's this pattern: now discontinued,

http://www.oneida.com/flatware/discontinued-flatware/satin-dover.html

Anne in the kitchen said...

Congratulations on remembering your existing flatware. I have started using the "good" stuff on a semi regular basis. I have no clue what I have been saving it for.