Sunday, November 8, 2015

A pleasant surprise; the lower electric bill

Image: http://www.fryeelectricinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/electric-meter.jpg

As with all line items in my household budget, our electric usage is closely monitored, with $150/month previously been allocated for electricity. Although 2 members left the home in June and electric rates dropped effective in July, we have continued to watch our useage and conserve.

My recent bill shows that these actions are paying off, confirmng that the 2 former housemates were far from conservative (almost daily incidents with multiple lights left on, for example). While we stopped using the window A/c units (removed in Sept), I have resorted several times to elctric dryer usage but still, our average daily usage dropped 6 kwts compared to last year.

I am comfortable dropping my electric budget to $100, as we came in several months now, at under $100. $93.51 this last bill.

11 comments:

Florence said...

Having the electric bill come in under budget is like getting an early Christmas present! Yay!!!

TrayceeBee said...

Kudos! That's a very small electricity bill for being here in Connecticut! Your frugal ways are definitely money in the bank! =)

CTMOM said...

Family of 4 mostly/almost adults in a 2700 sq foot home. Yes, I am very happy with the results of my efforts.

Anne in the kitchen said...

Fantastic!

meme said...

That is terrific on the electric bill! My house in MA - is 2052 square feet, five family members, and I am home all day providing licensed childcare - my last month bill was 122 and I was pleased with that !

Belinda said...

Oh wow, that is great! Your efforts to lower your electric bill are paying off. Way to go. :)

thyme2save said...

Draw a smiley face on your electric bill. :)

Marcia in rural WNY said...

I honestly have some inkling that my husband may be showing some signs of early Alzheimers. I hope desperately that I'm wrong, but one indicator is his leaving lights on that he never left on before--he has always been good with living small. I do go around turning them off after him, but I can't see him doing this on purpose, as we have been frugal all our married life. There are other signs as well but I don't want to ask the doctor for testing and permanently destroy DH's hope for the future. It's really a dilemma. He is also hard of hearing, wears two hearing aides, and sometimes will blame a lapse on not hearing. And it may be true. Quite a quandry. He is a very intelligent man and I really don't want him to know, if it is true. At least not yet. He is 73.

CTMOM said...

Marcia-sorry about your worries as regards DH. Could it be his eyesight that is failing so he needs more light? Just a thought.

Carol Farley said...

Speaking of lights, we are in the process of changing over to LEDs which are supposedly going to save us some money on the electric bill. Quite some time ago, we had changed to the CFl's but I really like the light the LED's give. Hopefully, the lower electric bill will justify the cost. We bought the three way ones at Lowes, Ulitech and the others at Wal Mart, their Great Value ones. Do not buy the Sylvania three ways as they go from low to high than to the middle setting.
Keep up the good work of reigning in the expenses.

jmorrrrris said...

Do check the electric usage of all your appliances. I discovered our television used more power in 24 hours than ALL of our lights in a year. We turned the TV off and leave the lights on. It has saved so much hassle.