Monday, September 7, 2015

The end of an era

 A bit fuzzy, but this is a photo of my last box of NIP, rubber jar rings that originated from one of several, older relative's homes. I get the canning stuff as I am the cousin that cans. : )  Aiming to use up all of my older stuff, I slowly have donated my bail wire topped Mason jars, eventually planning on switching to all dome lid canning. I was brought up with bail wire jar and rubber ring canning, even though the government officially frowned upon the technology around the time I was born (50+ years ago).
 Hard to see but there is a 2/23 cent purple price stamp. Rubber rings are hard to find, and when I did, they were $2.79/pkg of 6. Besides deemed safer and easier to see if the seal is set, dome lid canning is cheaper for me.
My annual Labor Day tomato canning: 52 pints of quartered tomatoes, 2 pints, 1 12 oz, 5 4 oz jars of Italian tomato sauce (made from trimmings/skins). I needed help, it took longer as I expected but I am glad it's done. Local, organic tomatoes.

3 comments:

Belinda said...

Beautiful! I love the 2/23 price on the rubber rings, the sign of a bygone era for sure. You've have been VERY busy. How neat!

Larissa Stretton said...

Congratulations to you on all that canning! Boy that will taste good this winter!
Will you, or have you, shared how you make italian sauce from peels and trimmings? Is it different from your regular sauce? I make sauce and freeze it for winter, not comfortable with canning...and am curious.

Thank you for sharing!
Larissa

CTMOM said...

Laissa, as I can the peels and cut off bits (too green for example) are set aside. I place these in a large pot, cover with just enough water to saturate and cover them, and I bring this to a boil for 30 minutes. I then run this mixture thru a foley food mill, extracting every bit possible *what remains is composted). I now gave a really watery, soupy mixture in a deep kettle. I let that reduce by at least 50%. When canning, I add 1 Tbsp bottled lemon juice (not needed if freezing) and 1 tsp mixed, dried Italian herbs per pint. This really is a freebie from canning.