Sunday, September 27, 2015

Shopping at the Butcher's

 
 Shopped at the Buther's on Saturday: 1 lb grnd beef, 1 link sweet Ital sausage (I have lots already on hand in the freezer, want to try theirs, which is made in house). beef bones. The quality of what I am buying makes me very happy.
 I returned this morning to pick up a 4 lb chuck roast that I ordered, alas, their delivery didn't come yesterday (spoke with owner, he'll look into  that tomorrow but was very appologetic). I took 2 small roasts instead.
 CP pot roast using golden mushroom soup, a pouch of onion soup mix, black pepper and an 8 oz pkg of mushrooms that needed cooking. Mashed potatoes, steamed carrots and cauliflower will complete the meal, along with the gravy that will make itself in the CP.
 I oven roasted the bones for an hour before covering with water and simmering to release all the marrow.
 Fridge cleanout today unearthed some waste but considering how ill I was for 72 hours, I'll let it go. It'll be composted. I grabbed additional ingredients that need to be usedup: organic spinach, low salt "V8" juice, cooked carrots, cooked organic Butternut, a soft organic tomato, some long in the tooth organic cherry tomatoes, 1/2 of an organic red onion
the old chive from this week's organic CSA will complete the "onion requirements" and I am certain that I'll be adding even more ingredients to finish off this soup for the upcoming work week.


Here's the finished soup:

I added about 5 outer leaves from a head of cabbage (slivered), parsley, Ital seasoning, black pepper, salt in the form of Goya beef bouillon powder, 1 cup anci di pepi pearl pasta (making concerted efforts to use up all of my msc soup pasta prior to next Summer's move), the tender leaves from a head of caulifler, 2 stalks celery that I sliced, 3 Russet potatoes that I cubed

2 comments:

Winter Fan said...

I buy almost all of my meats from the butcher. IMO, sausage is so much better than from the grocery store. I usually do two big trips a year. My freezer is emptying out and I'm due. I'll be trying out a nearby Czech butcher shop. I expect the sausage will be outstanding.

alaskadreamin said...

Looks and sounds Delish! I enjoy your blog. You are an inspiration, so thank you!