Saturday, September 19, 2015

CSA 2015: pathetic

Pathetic was the word that immediately came to mind when I picked up this week: small bunch scallions, boy choy, small bunch beets, 1 lb green tomatoes, 6 apples, 6 small peaches which again only rotted, a bonus: grab a handful of arugula. Meanwhile, this farm is advertising on social media, displaying what they have for sale at a local farmer's market: now I can confim where the lettuce, chard, kale, cabbage, red tomatoes, summer squashes, peppers, etc are. Additionally, they sell to a local Whole Foods, as well as local restaurants, and have run a few  farm to table events (over $100/person). Really leaving a sour taste with me, as my gradmther would have said. One more week until this Summer season ends, usually a week is skipped, then a few weeks for my Fall share, at the conclussion of which, a letter will be sent.

9 comments:

Florence said...

That is very disappointing. And it gives a bad reputation for CSAs in general.

TrayceeBee said...

It has been a very frustrating CSA year for you! I don't blame you for wanting to write a letter at the end of your contract with them. It would be one thing if the farm had a bad growing season but,obviously that's not the case thanks to their social media posts. I can't imagine you are the only disgruntled CSA holder either!

young77 said...

Such a rip-off. If there is such a thing as a BBB for CSAs, I'd report them. Shirley

Lili said...

Have very frustrating for you. A lesson learned. If you plan on moving out of that town at the end of next summer, does that mean that you'll skip any CSA for next summer?

Belinda said...

Just terrible. I would be sending them a letter too.

slugmama said...

Sounds like this farm is using the CSA to get rid of what doesn't sell for a premium price and the leftovers. Time to move on after a letter is sent, of course.

Ms. Sandie said...

Just curious, why would you wait until the contract is up? Maybe give them a way to rectify the problem? Tell them your comparison from last year to this, mention that you are noticing what is in the farm store and their posts. Couldn't hurt!

CTMOM said...

Sandie-I can't break the contract or get a refund. I am crazy busy at work, with a lull just before Thanksgiving, around the time this will end. Last year, a survey was sent, changes made as a result (no meat in shares, no eggs, access to herb garden once it took off around July). My first CSA experience was beyond awesome, 2nd one was meuh as we kept getting the same items (dozens of corn), this 3rd one was a winner last year. This year-not so much as far as sharing nature's bounty. I'll stick to farmer's markets and buying directly from farming friends.

mikemax said...

I would send a letter now.