Sunday, August 30, 2015

Update on the medical front

When I last saw my rhumatologist, we decided to tweak my meds, which ended up not working due to increased, significant side effects. Plan B was initiated but the MD was on short medical leave, due to a biking accident. I called, speaking a few times with his nurse, once with his PA (didn't care for his attitude)and everything was put on hold. Finally got "the orders" for plan B, insurance was consulted, I had an initial call with the local hospital, who will call me after work one day this week to finalize everything. I am to begin IV infusions of Reclast http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-148235-952/reclast-intravenous/zoledronicacidsolution-injection/details  due to my GERD.

 Another issue is my vitamin D. I had been taking 50,000 units once a week as a RX (not a typo on amount) as a severe deficiency was discovered. As of 8/7, I was to drop that frequency (same 50,000 untis) to once a month. Within a week and a half, extreeme fatigue overcame me-a symptom I had been brushing off. With the IV infusion decision made, I am now taking 1000 units daily. Of note is that this is a fat soluable vitamin. My gallbladder was removed several years ago, perhaps this has added a new layer to my issues. So off to CVS, and a consult with the pharmacist. MY brother and SIL are both phar,acists and warned me that OTC vitamins can really vary in both quality ad consistency. CVS pharmacist agreed and steerded me in the direction of  Nature Made brand, even over the CVS private label. Interesting. Normally $13.29 for 90 pills, these were on sale buy one, get one 1/2 off. Additionally, they were bonus bottles of 100 count. Nice but it gets better . .
Remeber that I now carry my coupons in my purse? I had 3 rewards bucks vouchers: $5, $1 and $10 but darn it! the $10 one expired 4 days prior! No worries, they still took it! Balance due $3.93, paid with my HSA preloaded credit card so no monies directly out of my wallet.

4 comments:

Ms. Sandie said...

Great shopping!

Belinda said...

What a great deal! Good to know that the pharmacist recommeneded the Nature Made brand. There are so many to choose from in the Vitamin D category that it becomes frustrating.

young77 said...

I went through the Vit D deficiency routine, too, a few years ago. I take the same brand and 2,000 daily. It's so important to have that checked. Great buy with the coupons!! Shirley

thyme2save said...

Much good for you but sorry about the Vitamin D problem. I have a disease that causes my D to be low at times and have taken 50,000 units weekly for 6 months or longer. Still, I must take D but in lower amount. Popping in a daily vitamin does not solve the problems many believe it does.