Friday, August 14, 2015

Taking stock



With September menus set, as we transitiion to BTS/work and Fall/Winter menus, it is ever important that we eat what is on hand, especially as I am determined to significantly reduce stores here, as we are moving next Summer. Recently, I unearthed many tubs of bits of this and that, time to take steps to actively use it up. With return to work and cooler temps, soup will return to the menus, especially as I often take it to work for my lunch. I checked out both the kitchen side by side freezer as well as the freezer in the garage, deciding to move some things around.


Much of the meat on hand is sausage, something that I have frequently found on marked down, ending up cheaper than ground beef or ground turkey. I've reduced the amounts used in recipes as well. Pictured here is the new "sausage shelf" in the kitchen freezer: hot Italian, sweet Italian, sun dried tomato,, apple-chicken, bratwurst, kielbasa. Since I am turning to it so frequently, it made sense to make it more readily accessible, placing the cheese that was there, in the garage freezer.

Another reason for today's inventory was to check whether or not I have the meats needed for all of September menus (grnd beef and turkey was the concern). Luckily, I do. So besides must haves/staple items we may run out of, I am hoping that Sept is a low spend month.

6 comments:

Belinda said...

Terrific that you have the meats needed for your September menus. Good planning on your part. :)

RPS4boys said...

I soooo need to do this. I have a chest freezer and I'm sure there is stuff in there that has been lurking for way too long.

CTMOM said...

Belinda, just licky. I had grabbed a few extra for easy meals while recovering from my surgery, 1 turkey and 2 beef from Aldi plus 3 nulk pkgs of beef from a marked down at a grocery store.

CTMOM said...

RPS, I hope to have my extra freezer emptied by April.

Marcia in rural WNY said...

I have been feeling a lot like we are having sausage at every other meal lately, but I've gotten bulk Italian sausage for $1.99 a lb from my regular grocery store. It's hard to beat that price, and they make it fresh in the store. My husband prefers thin spaghetti, but I have to make penne with sauce and loose sausage meat once in a while when I can get it at that price!! He eats it, especially if I throw a little extra cheese on top.

Summer is a great time for sausage in buns, too, which is how the bratwurst usually gets used up. Kielbasa I can make several different ways, so that's not a problem. I find summer meals being repetitious, even with different salads. My garden is NOT producing much thus far, which might be influencing your CSA farmer too. I had to replant some seeds because rain washed them out or rotted them, the crops that are coming up are late, and the pepper plants have very few peppers on them because the nights have been too warn. I have quite a few beets which will be late also, but I do hope they get a chance to grow to some size before it gets cold. Not a great year for gardening in our area.

CTMOM said...

Marcia, the csa is producing tons, evidenced by the email blast alerting us that their farm stand is openwith lots to offer, including photos of items we no longer, or haven't been recieving in the shares. More and more disappointing. What we get is awesome, but weekly I am left asking myself, where's the rest? : (