Monday, August 17, 2015

Summer laundry, Summer eats, Summer produce



Due to my limitations, I am choosing to hang most of our laundry on clothes horses set out on the screened in porch
 but sheets still get out on the line. I ran this batch through with Chlorox brand oxy due to what I'm calling teen boy sweat. Ick! better but not as white as I'd like.
 Don't these just scream "Summer"? I had leftover, cooked bacon from Sunday, so I made BLT's. LOVE the huge slice of tomato!
This week's CSA: 3 Sunflowers, pint pyo cherry tomatoes, 2 huge onions, 1 small bunch beets, 1 lb tomatoes, 1 squash, 2 peppers, 3 small apples, 4 teeny peaches (look like apricots) and I snipped some herbs for tea. Flowers are now in a vase on the dining room table. The herbs are in the water filled, herb jar in the fridge. The cherry tomatoes join others in the snack bowl, the slicing ones jin others on a platter, the onion bulbs are refrigerated, the now cut off tops will be part of an onion/zuke/Summer sqash saute as our side veg tonight, steamed beets to accompany. The fruit joins others on a platter in the DR, the only veg left to store was a baggie with beet greens. I should be overwhelmed in produce.


 Love what I got, just remain feeling like 1/2 is missing.


I've gardened all of my life, gardens are now bursting with produce, the farm is no exception: their email postings inviting customers to shop their stand, lists all of the fruits and vegetables up for sale, many of which are not part of the weekly share. More and more, I feel that we are an afterthought. Won't be continuing next year.

12 comments:

Cheryl said...

That is my fear of a CSA,not the getting the produce we would eat. It doesn't seem fair, you are paying for what they grow, you should get beans, tomatoes, and too much zucchini and not have to buy it from the farm stand. Cheryl

Florence said...

1 squash?? 2 peppers? Where's the corn? I think I'd have a word with the owner.

Belinda said...

Considering they also have a stand to shop at, I'd say they are holding back what they give to their CSA participants to sell the rest of it at the stand for additional monies. I would not be continuing next year either. You should be swimming in tomatoes right now, I can't believe they are only giving you two each week. :(

carol pavlik said...

I have never been in a CSA and I have been watching yours with interest. Was the original agreement for say 10 pounds of assorted produce? Have you talked to any other CSA members to see if they are satisfied? It seems you are missing a lot.

Winter Fan said...

You should have way more tomatoes and zukes/squash IMO. My garden is just sad this year (critters got a hold of most of it), but I have tomatoes and zucchini.

thyme2save said...

My grandfather was a farmer by trade. He sold to a well-known grocery store less than half a mile from his home. Silly consumers paid the higher prices at the grocery store.

My burb of 58,000 has a farmer's market in the town square every Saturday.

CTMOM said...

Carol P-their wording is vague, I just reread the info on the website. While they reference that we accept farming risks (say tomato blight)they do reference that we would get what is being picked and currently growing. I feel that if it's picked and for sale in their shop stand, it should also be in the csa share. It states that we are a priority, I am not feeling it. I can e-mail the owner, knowing that we will be asked to complete a survey at the end of the season. no promise of a specific weight of produce stated. click on the csa years to the right and compare last year's (same farm) to 2013-a different one that flooded us with corn, no variety to 2012 and earlier where there certainly was seasonal rotation and largess.

meme said...

I love the view out your screened in sun room! Very peaceful looking! I ditto what everyone else said about the CSA - seems like you should be getting corn....

Ms. Sandie said...

I would consider calling the owner or farm office. This CSA was not cheap.

CTMOM said...

Belinda-exactly my thoughts.

CTMOM said...

Cheryl/Florence, I feel that we (csa) are not a priority, we're being short changed.

Kathy said...

Love your sunroom!
We don't belong to a csa anymore. We tried a meat csa, and the first year was great. Delicous beef and pork with many different cuts. Second year wasn't so good; my husband said we were getting the meat scraps. While I appreciate that the farmer didn't want to waste anything; we were getting goose wings and turkey wings every two weeks. While I don't mind trying new things, I still have some oxtails and pork belly in my freezer.