Sunday, August 30, 2015

Summer 2015 CSA, farm stand and Penzey's

 Monday's CSA pick up: watermelon, 5 apples, 5 small peaches, sm bag arugula, pint prepicked cherry tomatoes
 leeks, carrots, 2 small red peppers,1 lb tomatoes, 3 chilli peppers. Sigh . . .where's Summer's bounty? I continue to feel that we are an afterthought, all of tomatoes were already soft. : (
 On Monday, I stopped at my impromptu farmer stand, grabbing 2 doz eggs I preordered and organic cukes @ 25 cents each
 Saturday, I returned, getting more cukes and some sauce tomatoes as I knew that I'd be cooking down the remaining ones from the CSA. They didn't want to charge me, but finally said just pay $1.
Monday was my first day back at work and right afterwards, I went to Penzey's as I had preplanned, to take advantage of a freebie coupon for pepper, and to replenish my orange peel. This cpn required a $10 purchase-something new.

7 comments:

TrayceeBee said...

Soft tomatoes from a CSA in August?!?! Carol, I do absolutely agree with you that CSA members are an afterthought at this farm. My guess is that there are other members who, like you, are starting to feel very slighted. I have never belonged to a CSA but, soft tomatoes aside, that doesn't seem to be a huge amount of farm products for this time of year.

CT Bargain Mom said...

I doubt I would go to that CSA again.
What do you use the Penzys orange peel for?

CTMOM said...

ct bargain-cranberry-orange bread or muffins, marinades that are citrus based

CTMOM said...

Tracee-yes, ever more disappointed.

Belinda said...

What gets me about the CSA is the size and quality of what you are getting. Just seems like you are getting the smallest of things and not high quality. Those are very small red peppers, same for the peaches. And soft tomatoes? I'd say they are taking what did not sell at their farm stand from last week and giving it to their CSA customers and giving the farm stand customers the best of what they have. So frustrating. :(

ct garden said...

I am no longer a fan of Penseys. I drive to Penseys maybe once or twice a year--as you know, it can be quite distance from some parts of CT. . Penseys honored its coupons until one year past the expiration date, but when I went to check out yesterday with three very good freebie coupons I was told that they will now only accept coupons until the expiration date. This policy change was not announced in the Penseys catalogue which includes the coupons --you wouldn't learn about it until you tried to redeem them! I think they have shown a great lack of consideration and appreciation for their customers by not announcing this significant change ahead of time.

CTMOM said...

CTgarden, luckily, my drive from work to Penzeys is under 10 minutes.