Saturday, August 1, 2015

Saturday shopping

Image:  https://everydropwater.ca/content/images/thumbs/0001709_edr1rxd1b.jpeg

Once again, up @ 4:40 a.m. today, but got an early jump on my day as a result. Several errands to run. First stop: Home Depot, with a10% off Lowe's coupon in hand. I checked on line, got the code number for the old (current) refrigerator water filter cartridge and confirmed which of the new compny (Every drop) is needed. Comfirmed that my local HD had them in stock, then headed over. Previously, I paid $49.99 at the discount appliance store (I had called them yesterday, they no longer carry the current filter I have, They suggested I try Whirlpool on line, which is how I learned that Every drop is now the filter company). HD sells the filters @$49.99 but I bought 2, saving roughly $5/filter. These are changed every 6 months, so I may not need to get one next Summer before we move. Done.



Image: http://www.timberlineconstruction.com/92607F/assets/images/Projects/Horiz/Big/Stop&Shop_Exterior.jpg

I scoured the ad yesterday and did a coupon box clean out (seriously thinking of moving to a small pouch system as there are so few cpns that I use, my 3 x 5 card file holder (a GW find years ago)is overkill. I don't even sort them anymore. Here's what I got: 1 Tropicana dairy oj (cpn), 2 yoplait plentiful yogurts (crash n burn), 2 ea: fzn peas & fzn mixed veg, 2 32 oz bpttles Snuggle liquid (cpn), 2 Purex detergent (cpn), 1 Palmolive dish soap (cpn), 2 Ronzoni garden pasta (cpn), 1 Barilla pasta (cpn), 1 Jif p butter (cpn), 2 Suave body wash (bogo cpn), 1 Softsoap body wash (cpn), 2 ladies shave gel (cpns), 2 men's deod. (bogo cpn), butt ham @ 99/lb (manager's special for freezer!), 1 pkg marked down grnd sirloin @$3.99/lb (that's what I am paying for 85% fzn tubes at Aldi), 1 pkg thick center cut pork chops for freezer on sale @$1.99/lb, 1 aseptic box almond milk (cpn), 6 fresh peaches @79/lb (cpn deal), 1 pkg Kayen NE hotdog buns (cpn). $46.68 out the door!

Image: http://blogs-images.forbes.com/briansolomon/files/2014/08/CVS-e1407253293141-1940x1090.jpg

I combined multiple incentives @ CVS: 25% off voucher on total order, 30% off on personal care items, bogo offers, many manufacturer's cpns, buy 1 get 2nd 50% off promos, CVS printed out cpns, save $5 off $15 order-unbelievable but it worked! Here's what I got: 2 bags m & m peanut, 1 softsoap pump soap, 1 Irish spring men's body wash, 1 3 ct pkg Irish spring signature men's bar soap (other customer cleared the remaining 4 bodywashes as I got there), 1 tub Stridex, 1 tub CVS stridex to try, 1 lg bottle Tresemme shampoo, gallon milk, 2 Caress body wash for dd, 2 Dove men's bar soap, 2 Dove ladies bar soap, 2 Secret deod for dd, 2 lg bottles Suave shampoo, 1 pair toe nail clippers, 6 tubes Crest. Unbelieveable what the "normal" costs are! I miss Xpect discounts . . but I paid $72.39 for the above. Yes, a serious chunk of change, but we're set for a while. I also came home with $6 in rewards bucks. : )

3 comments:

young77 said...

Hi Carol, Once again you scored big savings. I went to the grocery store today first time in 10 days. I "tweaked" my left knee and have needed to stay off it and use ice and was able to eat well from freezer and pantry. Saved quite a bit, the best being 2 each bags of Kroger fzn steam-able pearl onions and steam-able broccoli/cauliflower - I grabbed the last ones they had. Then I got to the dairy case: Butter $5+/lb!! Seriously? I bought one 1 lb of a brand marked down to $3.59. Is butter that expensive in your area. If so, what do you do? Thanks, Shirley

CTMOM said...

Shirley, sorry about your knee, sounds like you are better as you went out. If you have any of the onions/broccoli/cauliflower, make a frittata, an omlette, a quiche, toss w/ pasta add some cheese. I usually buy butter at Aldi's @ $2.49/lb, yes the grocery stores are asking higher prices. I have my price points. I also substitute margarine, bacon fat when possible. hth!

young77 said...

Thanks, Carol, the quiche sounds good and will give it a try. No Aldi's here. I just have to watch for sales and coupons again. I, too, use oil, bacon fat and have just started using coconut oil. Will go back to margarine for baking. I just had sticker shock! Yes, thank you, the knee is getting better, it's the one I had replaced last Sept. Hugs, Shirley