Wednesday, August 19, 2015

An experiment

 I currently have 2 ABM machines. I have noticed that when using both to make dough, one never rises as well as the other. Note that they are identical machines. I took a tip from another CT blogger, and decided to try making and baking (I usually only use an ABM to mix and rise dough, then bake conventionally but with this heat-not an option!)a banana bread.  The dough mixed fine in machine # 1 but didn't bake and the machine was cold. Broken heating element? So, I tagged that machine, moved the filled bucket to machine # 2, which got hot and produced this:
Looks goofy, silly hole from the paddle of course, not shaped/risen as usual but was that due to using self rising flour? the 2 x's processed mix? Hopefully it's edible, I got the recipe on line.

1 comment:

CT Bargain Mom said...

Sorry, I have to laugh..it's a goofy looking loaf - you are right about that.

This is the recipe I use with my ABM. We get square loafs. I load these ingredients in this order. It's from the book that came with the machine. Hope it helps!

2 large eggs
1/3 cup butter/margarine (I use canola or coconut oil)
1oz milk (shot glass)
2 bananas, mashed medium size
1 1/3 cup bread flour
2/3cup sugar (all white or white & brown) (Splenda doesn't brown nicely)
11/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Setting 6 on my machine is for quick breads 2 hours total time (hardly seems quick when a craving hits). After it mixes for 5 minutes I use a rubber spatula to scrape the sides down and there are no flour pockets on the outer crust.

I've never had luck with AP flour in this recepie. Just doesn't get the right lift and is gooey.

I gad a bread machine cookbook but everytime I tried one in this it was yucko results. I stick with the machines booklet and no problems