Friday, July 31, 2015

My heavy cream froze . .

with soaring heat, humidity the past several days, the house has been closed up with 4 window A/C units running on the second floor. Still, the refrigerator was running in overtime and 2 pints of heavy cream were frozen. I thawed them, but alas, the cream could no longer whip into whipping cream.

Instead, the liquid separated from the fat, so I drained it off, and then continued whipping what remained. Instead of chucking this out, I "made" buttermilk and solid, unsweetened butter.What you see in the photo is what was produced from a single pint. I repeated the process, ending up with 2 cups of buttermilk and 2 mugs of butter.

So naturally, this morning found me making a triple batch of homemade, buttermilk pancakes with intentional planned overs, also using up an additional pint of buttermilk that had previously been purchased.

1 comment:

young77 said...

Great idea, Carol!! Shirley