Monday, June 15, 2015

More medical tests

Recently, I've been having some medical tests, stemming from my fall back in March, to rule (hopefully) some things out. Today, I got a text from my CVS telling me that my RX was ready. Um . . . what RX? I called and they confirmed that a recently added to my medical team MD has ordered high doses of vitamin D for me. Not having heard from him, I called and spoke with his PA. She confirmed that my vitamin D levels are very low. So, I am taking huge doses of it, once a week for 6 weeks. Meanwhile, I learned that the results of another test just came in, and the PA will have him call tomorrow to discuss. Just seems so strange.

5 comments:

NJB said...

A family member of mine was recently diagnosed with low Vitamin D. Something I'd never heard of until now. I wonder if doctors are getting more aware of this issue than they were before?

CTMOM said...

This threw me for a loop-rickets and malnutrition come immediately to mind.I await more test results, the MD is supposed to call me back tonight. I suspect this is directly related to my not having a gall bladder, how my body processes fat, and malabsorbtion. We'll see.

Belinda said...

I have the same issue and take an RX for Vitamin D. I try to get outdoors more and get Vitamin D naturally, but I still have issues with this. Even after the initial rx runs out, you may need to take one a month, as I do, just to try and keep your Vitamin D levels normal.

Julie Vidani said...

it's not uncommon for those of us in northern climates to need supplemental vitamin D -- we just don't get enough naturally. especially after the winter we just had!

Carrie A. said...

As I was told by my Dr last year as I tested with a low vitamin D level, it is not uncommon for woman as they age to have low D levels. Therefore they now test you with your yearly blood work up.
I live in central Florida and take vitamin D as well.