Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Tuesday: tried something new


 Keeping it really simple this week, I instead chose these beef and beef filled ravioli from Aldi's frozen section.


 I made my own sauce, starting by sauteeing some fresh mushrooms with 1/2 pkg fzn pepper strips with onions (Dollar Tree)in some reserved pork fat from Sunday's breakfast:

Usually I have vanilla low fat yogurt, fresh fruit, OJ, coffee during the week. Eggs and sausage with toast, OJ, my hazelnut coffee treat on a Sunday is worth waiting for!

The base of my sauce took advantage of this 84 cent crash n burn can of tomatoes, and a med sized can of diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano as well as the pint or so of leftover sauce from Sunday night's Swiss steaks. A rich, beef infused sauce remained and I wasn't about to let that go to waste!


 I added some organic basil, organic oregano (both dried last Summer), black pepper, a Bay leaf
 Here's the finished sauce, extra "planned overs" made as well
3 for supper as DD and visiting BF were out, so I made up some individual salads. This worked well. Choice of dressings as usual.
6 generous raviolis topped with my chunky sauce, a side of broccoli with cheese sauce (Aldi's clearance). Product review: excellent! will definately make again, perhaps with a white sauce next time.

No comments: