Saturday, May 30, 2015

Waste not, want not


At the breakfast table in the kitchen, I keep a mug of fast food supplies, that some* would simply toss in the trash (don't get me started on my recycling/trash reduction efforts), rather than "deal" with them. I cull them, and leave them set out. DD likes to take the plastic ware to work, in lieu of our daily silver ware-fine. Ketchup packets? these will be used up first, before we reach for the ketchup bottle. Also good to tote to work, for occassions when ketchup would be welcomed.

While I do not agree with replenishing one's kitchen with restaurant supplies, I do believe in using what resources one has, including extras from restaurants.

5 comments:

Frugal in France said...

I do that too and never felt ashamed of it ! xx

Belinda said...

I save these as well and get the ones my Mom has as well. My dd also saves the one she is served in her school lunch if she does not use them. I had two packets of BBQ sauce the other day when I made pork ribs in the crock-pot, so I put those in with some more BBQ sauce. Better to use them up than to waste them.

Theresa F said...

Seems like common sense to use them up but we live in a throw away society. Can't even begin to count the number of silver spoons my kids have lost over the years.

ed20eb1c-ff4f-11e4-8e2a-17c04d47f900 said...

I absolutely do this! When the kids need a ketchup/ mustard packet for their leftover hot dog or hamburger, or chicken cutlet sandwich that I pack for thei school lunch box, these are much welcomed. As are the disposable spoons for pudding or jello cups. My kids have been trained so well that more often than not, they bring these disposables home to be washed and reused!

saraband said...

I don't take sugar in coffee but feel it's OK to bring home the sachet I would have used in a cafe. These are then kept in a jar for use by visitors who do take sugar.