Sunday, May 3, 2015

Today's freebie: the dregs


I have always been a use it up to the last bit kind of a person. Not everyone here is from the same school of thought towards household ecomony or simply can't be bothered. Case in point, is the above bottle of Tide detergent that either DS or GF placed in the recycling.

  Yesterday, as I loaded my car for a bimonthly trip to the transfer station, I came across this loose bottle, while placed in one of the large trash bins where we hold recycling in the garage, it was not in a bag for toting. As I lifted the bottle, I quickly noted the caked on detergent all around the cap and dripped onto the outside bottle. Tthe weight of the bottle told me that it clearly was not empty, and no attempt had been made to rinse it out. I set the bottle aside, delivered the trash and recycling.

I had already washed the laundry for the day, but knew I would have more for today. This morning found we wiping the gooey soap onto a towel awaiting laudering, and after pouring a 1/2 load measure of detergent into the washer, rinsing the rest of the detergent out of the bottle several times until the water ran clear, then placing the now clean, as is required by the transfer station, bottle to my awaiting, bag lined recycling bin in the kitchen.

A laundry loads worth of free detergent, and an expensive brand at that is today's freebie. I also find myself doing the same with what some consider to be "empty" bottles of shampoo, conditioner, body wash. DD and i tend to use up the hair products while  the body wash gets some water added to the bottle before being placed at a sink for washing hands.

7 comments:

Mary Lou said...

I do the same thing with all my bottles, but we are obviously a different generation.

Belinda said...

I'm with Mary Lou and you, I do the same thing with my bottles. I actually enjoy filling the bottle up with water until it runs clear. :)

Grammy Goodwill said...

I do the same thing. I hate to waste stuff.

Theresa F said...

I always add water until no more suds come out. Every
When I was in my early twenties though I would have cared less about getting out every last drop. It takes a few years of paying bills to realize that every penny really counts.

Lili said...

Hi Carol,
now some folks may say "eeewww!" to this, BUT . . .
when my husband and I used laundromats (1st 8 years of our marriage), when we'd walk in the door of the laundromat, we'd check the trash receptacles right next to the machines. We'd remove any liquid detergent bottles from the trash, and do as you did, rinse them all out until clear water came out, into our wash load. There was always enough of this last bit of detergent to do at least 1 load, sometimes 2. Someone else's garbage was our free detergent.

I do this with everything else at home, too. Jugs of milk usually have enough milk in the bottom for a cup of tea, if I rinse the jug and use that rinse-water as my tea water. I rinse my yogurt jars to use as liquid in making pancakes or biscuits. I rinse the mustard jar and ketchup bottles to add to baked beans or add to my Crazy Soup pot in the freezer.

I think it's just common sense to use all of a product that you've paid for, made or were given.

CTMOM said...

Lili-no 'Ewww" from me, I also took "used" drier sheets back in college for the towels to be dried (hung everything else). I still use 2 used ones for a final, third load. I have used the last of my liquid fabric softener, and have turned to my stash of dryer sheets, including 3 mega boxes of store brand dryer sheets. I suspect that it'll be years before I use them up!

CTMOM said...

Lili, I should add: I place homemade vinaigrette into "empty" mustard jars, and use the vinaigrette to rinse the jar, adding flavor in the process. My family's vinaigrette recipe calls for mustard, anyway!