Monday, May 25, 2015

Memorial Day menu



Keeping it simple tonight: grilled beef burgers with or w/o cheese on toasted rolls, grilled beef hotdogs on rolls with choice of assorted condiments; homemade macaroni salad. Assorted fruit, brownies, ice cream for dessert seekers.

Here's the macaroni salad recipe that I have used for years:
http://www.muellerspasta.com/recipes/classic-macaroni-salad

Today's version:

 takes advantage of the 24 oz bag of elbow macaroni that I bought at Dollar Tree
 some homemade, chive blossom vinegar I made last year, some homemade/canned picallilli relish, the rest of the red pepper relish (I can only find it at $$$ IGA)-the relishes substitute for the fresh pepper that I do not have
 A bit blurry, but I used up the chive from last time, and grabbed some more from this past Friday's CSA pick up. I use the chive in lieu of the onion called for

Blended together, the macaroni salad is now in the fridge, "marinating" it's flavors and will be ready, come supper time.

6 comments:

sqbdew said...

I admire you and your kids. my family would never eat a burger without cheese

CT Bargain Mom said...

I find cains sweet red pepper relish at big y.

CTMOM said...

Thanks, CTBargain. I actually looked on line at the Big Y ad, as I have multiple silver coins on hand. No bargains, IMO, so I didn't go there. There is one within my circle of errands, so I can stop there. Easier for me to hit IGA or better yet-use up the homemade picallilli I have on hand. : )

CTMOM said...

SQB-I corrected my post. Like condiments, sliced cheese for cheeseburgers is an option. I actually prefer burgers w/o cheese.

Lee Ann said...

I've never heard of red pepper relish. I love red peppers.

CTMOM said...

Lee-here's a link:

http://www.famousfoods.com/caswpere12oz.html

I am from MA originally, where Cains is based. Now in CT, it can be harder to find.