Saturday, May 2, 2015

Another work obligation

Image:  http://downtownbigrapids.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/July-appetizers-copy.jpg

Just when we finally got through the work colleague birthday lunches, another work obligation has sprung up. Traditionally, depts. have signed up for TGIF social hours. These past few years, it's been more sporadic, with fewer depts hosting. Sometimes it's a before work breakfast. Next week, we have a workshop to attend, and a colleague who also is on the committee that plans these things, suggested that we offer our dept as hosts for that afternoon. Great!  Kicker is, she wants appetizers and a ton of them. She is envisioning shrimp, Prochutto (sp?), baked finger foods like mini Greek pies. I replied that I physically can not carry a lot of things in (I didn't even address the financial aspect with my expensive OOP PTdebt at the moment) but I can bring in 2 "banana breads." She reiterated that she wants to make sure that there is plenty on hand. Sigh-I ignored the follow up commentary.

Turns out that I do have bananas that need to be baked into something, and I also defrosted 2 baggies of organic, homemade pumpkin puree last night so as to do some batch cooking. I will make up a platter of some sort, have one of my kids pack it in my car and I will drive it to work Monday, for Tuesday afternoon, asking someone to carry it in from my car for me.It will simply have to do.

Thoughts?

10 comments:

Mary Lou said...

I found this recipe that could be called "finger food" and it seems that you would have all the ingredients in the house:

http://cooklikeajamaican.com/new-recipe-banana-fritters/

CTMOM said...

Mary Lou, thanks for the suggeation. Yes, while I have the ingredients on hand, ideally fritters are served immediately. Since I have to cook the night before at the latest, this is out. Also, I am really limited to one handed cooking, so I'm leary of frying at this point for safety reasons. Thanks again for the recipe share!

Baroness Prudent Spending said...

CTMOM banana bread is good enough! Amazing how people in the work place can be inconsiderate. I like the idea of menus but the reality is people are just going to be munching on whatever is offered.

Btw - still amazed at all you are doing. Hope the healing process continues fairly smoothly!
~ Pru

Frugal Queen said...

That would never work in the UK with our 20 minute lunch breaks in an eight hour working day. Mostly we eat and work simultaneously

a5605770-c072-11e4-a821-431d81bf84dd said...

Under the circumstances, I think you'd be fine to not volunteer to bring anything. The fact that you are actually making something homemade is awesome. Banana bread goes with anything.

CTMOM said...

Froogs, I only have a 17 minute lunch, which I also work thru. We have a workshop after school, for which we have been asked by our colleague to contribute. A quick snack as we settle in before the workshop.

Sandie Apuzzo said...

A quick snack is certainly banana bread, not appetizers! I was just commenting to DH at how many events you seem to be required to provide food for.

Elle said...

Do what you can and no more. Requirements are outrageous and inconsiderate.

Marcia in rural WNY said...

I think she's aiming a little high. We used to have food days (any excuse would do) at work a lot---those who liked to cook did more elaborate things, and those who didn't brought whatever else was needed--condiments, salad dressing, napkins, you name it.
Someone always managed to eat whatever was there--and if there were leftovers, those disappeared the next day. Was your co-worker volunteer to bring the shrimp?? People who work full time and have families just don't have the time to fuss with little canapes!! We did a whole finger foods buffet/tea kind of thing for my parent's 50th anniversary, and I made three different quick breads which went over very well. We had veggie trays and fruit trays, and maybe deviled eggs or something like that. It was a while back. It was just fine.

Juhli said...

Don't let someone bully you into feeling badly. Do what makes sense and don't sweat it. Put on a smile and if anyone complains just say "wow" and walk away. I bet you get compliments!