Saturday, April 25, 2015

Cleaning question





Cleaning question:  I am in a rental home, and the land lord left 2 carpet remnants for us to use. One is a narrow runner in really pristine condition, that I have moved to the sunroom entry off of the deck as we use that door often. This runner is vacuumed, and remains in great, like new condition. )ignore that it needs a fresh vacuuming!) It's a med. celery green silver color.  It's twin piece is more of a rectangular door mat which the LL kept in the garage, used to wipe feet before entering the basement entry door from the garage.




 It looks dark grey and is black in many areas. Frankly, I don't think she ever cleaned this door mat.I am remembering that years ago, my Dad removed wall to wall from our living room when we moved to a new home, and used that to cover firewood outside. The rain/snow aka the elements did an awesome job cleaning that old carpet. So, I have an experiment going on:  the older kids recently cleaned the garage, and I had them place this carpet mat over the deck railing in back f the house. We've had 2 good soaking rain storms since. This is also a Southern exposure, so sunlight may help some. Would you add some dishwashing liquid and water that is scrubbed/rubbed in with a hand held, bristle brush to further move (hopefully) this cleaning experiment along? It's in a location where we can spray it down with the garden hose. I won't pay to rent a rug cleaner, and this is just a 20 or more year old scrap remant that has had a utilitarian purpose in the LL's home. It already looks better, but I feel it could be further improved. Thoughts?

9 comments:

Mary Lou said...

Since I have pets I always have the spray foam type carpet cleaner around. Have any of that? It might help although I probably wouldn't buy it if I didn't already have it. Good luck!!

CTMOM said...

Mary Lou. no, I don't have any carpet cleaner and, no, I refuse to send any money to clean this carpet piece. Just want it cleaner, it was downright filthy, loaded with years of dirt. It looks better already but I think there is still hope to improve it further, that's why I am thinking of brushing in some diluted dish soap into the carpet piece to move things along.

mikemax said...

Laundry detergent and water. I answered this more fully on The Frugalista Files.

Theresa F said...

Some blue Dawn dish soap and hot water. Blue Dawn is amazing at getting out everything. Has to be blue though.

CT Bargain Mom said...

I would consider a generous sprinkle of cornstarch and baking soda (or 20 mile team borax) onto it when it's dry - work if in with a brush. Then vacume the hell out of it. Maybe been having the kids beat it from the back before vacuuming it. That should take care of any funky stale smells in it too

CTMOM said...

Max, I saw your FF reply, thanks

Theresa, Many swear by Dawn, I use an off brand thru Dollar Tree, so that is what I am considering trialing. I won't spend any additional funds, but willingly offer up whatever I already have on hand.

CTbargain, experience from Dad years ago, I learned that the rain and elements will do a fantastic job on carpet. I assume that Dad's carpet was wool (removed in 1971) and that what I am trying to clean is synthetic (acrylic? polyester?). My goal is primarily to avoid tracing soil into the home from this carpet piece, once it's returned to the garage entry into the home. I didn't notice any funky smells but I didn't try to sniff it either! I do have baking soda as a vacuuming aid but sespect that a white vinegar spritz if not a spritz of lavender essential oils spray would also do the trick. Meanwhile. the carpet piece is outside.

Florence said...

Dark brown or maybe Charcoal Rit dye.

CTMOM said...

Florence, thanks for the suggestion, but I am not willing to put any of my $ into this mini project. The carpet piece willl remain behind when we vacate, I am looking to clean this as best as possible, using what I alrready have on hand. The carpet is a sage-celery-green color.

mikemax said...

Carol, I'm not suggesting that you buy anything, but TheresaF was spot on in her recommendation of blue Dawn. It's worth keeping some around just for nasty jobs. I hired a housecleaner to help me get ready for a big dinner party. She accidentally spilled a few drops of furniture polish containing walnut stain on my carpet. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, but a drop of Dawn on each spot got 100% of the stain out of the carpet. She uses mostly Dollar Tree products for cleaning, but says NOTHING compares to blue Dawn for oily stain removal.