Sunday, April 5, 2015

A mending question

 Almost 40 years ago, my parents gifted me with an Ethan Allen bedroom set, wallpaper on my bedroom walls, a carpet remenant rug for my 12th birthday. That same year, my paternal grandmother made me this quilt, which matched my room. I notoced thar the edges are frayng, and plan on covering them this Summer either with seam binding or some fabric strips from my stash.
Sadly, one if the front panels (this quilt is comprised of panels sewn together, with solid green inbetween and as a backing) has a visable tear.  Question: how would you go about mending it? I am thinking of first reinforcing it with iron on interfacing, then doing a narrow overpatch in a coordinating fabric. This is a nice, heavy, twin sized quilt that we currently use in the Den. Thoughts?

3 comments:

Out My window said...

I would do just exactly that!

Marcia in rural WNY said...

I have done something similar. Mom had a Dresden plate quilt which was getting worn through in places on the front. I cut some new pieces and sort of handstitched them over the older frayed ones. Some were good enough to just stitch down a bit but if there were torn spots, the new patch was just overcast with the seam allowance folded under. I worked on this through many hours of TV watching with her. After she passed, I did request the quilt, so that I could continue mending it and use it myself. There are even patches cut to use. Since your quilt is printed, it may disturb the design a bit, but it will still be very useable. I figure I already have so many hours into it, I'd like to keep it!

Ms. Sandie said...

My mother who is an experienced quilter sent this message Overpatch is good idea. If fabric in area of tear is getting thin, it may need good size patch. Edges of patch ironed neatly to wrong side, and hand stitched. I am not sure about iron on interfacing. She may do better to do online research. Google......repair of old quilts