Thursday, March 19, 2015

Thursday: beef stew

 A rare meat offering here: stew beef. Only a lb of meat to feed all 6, but it'll have to do.
 Normally $7.20 for this meat,  I chanced upon a marked down, paying $4.68. More than I care to ($4 is my price limit usually) but I grabbed it for a "change of pace."
 As I planned this meal last month, it also afforded me the opportunity to use this second packet of Mrs Dash stew beef seasoning mix. It's good, but a bit too peppery for my taste. The only reason I had bought the 2 packets (one was used previously) was because I had $1 off/2 coupon.

This recipe requires tomato paste, which I don't normally have on hand, BUT I was able to use up a Fast Food tub of tomato marinara "dipping sauce" which from my last experience using this mix, equals a Tbsp. I needed 3 Tbsps worth, so I also added 2 Tbsp of ketchup. I did this also last time, it came out find. I used the usual vegetables: potatoe, onion, celery, mushroom, carrot. Wanting to bulk it out a bit, a added a drained can of green beans, giving the stew more color.

 
Here's the finished stew. None remains, so I guess it was ok. : )

No comments: