Sunday, March 8, 2015

Sunday supper

Breakfast was a simple affair, just for me. Kids had other plans, fine. I had the usual OJ, coffee and some cinnamon-raisin toast.

Lunch for one as well, so a quick, turkey, garlic-herb mayo, spicy mustard, Romaine lettuce sandwich was made on toasted, home made white bread.

Laundry and stripping beds was this afternoon's chore, along with getting Sunday supper's meal prep underway.
 I defrosted a 5 ct pkg of chicken thighs and an 8 ct pkg of (marked down) chicken drums. They were seasoned with salt free, garlic and herb seasoning mix, Paprika. They will bake, covered with saved tin foil. Brown rice was the original plan, but I had a ton of bread ends on hand that needed to be used up.
 Cinnamon-raisin, Rye, white, oatmeal-a real assortment. I find the mix makes for the best crumbs
 Here's my mixing bowl with the crumbs that I had sent through the Food Processor
 Additional ingredients: 2 stalks of celery, a large onion, about 2 cups of home made, chicken stock from the fridge that needed to be used up
 After whirling the bread ends, I used the FP again to chop up the onion and celery, including the green sprout from the onion
 Not having enough chicken stock, I turned to my box of Goya chicken boullion. I like that one packet equals 2 cups of broth. I bought this box at Dollar Tree.
 Here's my now blended chicken broth/stock.
 For binding, I added 2 beaten eggs
 concerned that it may end up dry, I also added 3 aging apples, that I peeled and chopped
 I "Pam" sprayed a 13 x 9 x  2 dish (still need to acquire a second one), and added a healthy dose of Bell's seasoning, as well as some black pepper. No additional salt was added, there is enough in the bread, the homemade stock made from the juices of cooking chicken that would have been salted a bit, and the Goya bouillon.
 Here's the stuffing, ready to be baked off, to be covered with more reused tin foil, like the chicken.
3 carrots were prepared to be steamed; towards the end of their cooking time, I'll add the open 1/2 bag of organic peas.

I also baked dessert : 2 squash pies, using canned squash in lieu of pumpkin. I still have some whipping cream that I will prepare for topping the generic Jello, if not tonight's pies.

Once the pies were out of the oven, I got the prepared chicken and stuffing baking, taking advantage of the warmed up oven.



My supper plate

 Freezer assets: 3 containers of stuffing, one of chicken gravy
I deglazed the pan, using the water from the steamer pan. Once cooled, this will also be frozen for another time.

4 comments:

cheryl soergel said...

It is none of my business, but you mentioned that you were the only one at breakfast. If the non-payment offenders went out to breakfast, I would be livid since they owed you money. Cheryl

CTMOM said...

Cheryl, bfst for one today as the youngest had visitation with Dad, DD joined them for brunch at Denny's. DS # 1 was at work for 6 a.m. GF doesn't have much beyond coffee for bfst. Agree, whenever I've seen take out, it's burns me. Much of their Xmas gifts were restaurant gift cards, so I know alot of the take out since Dec is attributed to that. I can see which restaurants the take out comes from and can assume it's paid with a g/C or not, depending upon the restaurant.

CTMOM said...

Cheryl, should have added that I agree, outside of paying for a treat with a G/C, no food should be purchased by either until they make full reimburesment to me.

cheryl soergel said...

It is hard when it is your own kid. You have such a variety of food and treats, they should be happy how patient you are with them. Cheryl