Sunday, March 1, 2015

Shopping locally to support local economy and to save $

Image: https://baumsnaturalfoods.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/shoplocal_sm.gif

The refrigerator's water filter needed to be changed. I researched on line, discovered that this is an expensive item. Shopping on line translated into addtional charges for shipping. Saturday found me doing errands in the city, so I stopped in at the local, family run appliance store where this refrigerator, along with all of the newly installed kitchen appliances, were purchased, and sure enough, yes, they DO carry the filter needed and if they were out, they'd have it for me the next day. Awesome! So I paid $$ for the filter, and quickly crossed that item off of my list. Keeping my dollars locally, helps the local economy. I am hoping to buy my next forever home in 18 months, and will definatley consider this shop for any appliance replacement needs.

I also went to a new to me, city butcher, spending $12.23 in the process.

Xpect (which is sadly closing today): 2 multi packs of Target brand tampons $2.99 for large boxes, 2 pkgs bacon, large tub organic baby salad greens, cauliflower, 6 cans AK wild caught pink salmon, 10 lbs potatoes, 4 lbs onions, Portugese rolls, wedge domestic Parmesan, lb block of sharp NY Cheddar, cabbage, 2 8 ct pkgs Jergens soap, 2 lbs elbow macaroni @ 50 cents. $58.89

Dollar tree: 2 pkgs Goya waffer cookies, 2 boxes D/W detergent powder (finding that the liquid they sell doesn't work well with our machine/water so I will combine the 2 as 1/2 liquid, 1/2 powder to use it up), 2 canisters dry roasted peanuts, multiple bags/boxes of Easter candy (didn't plan on buying it now but Xpect, my usual spot to buy this will close and I needed to buy it while I saw it). $36.97

Aldi's: 2 doz eggs, 4 fzn OJ, 2 cans corned beef hash, 4 canisters Cheddar popcorn seasoning (this is excellent, and we first found it around Christmas. I was hoping to go back for more, but it seems that they sold out. Must have had a box hidden in the back, so glad that more was available. We are turning more and more to popcorn, as I pinch back on food shopping), 3 gallons milk, 2 quarts 1/2 & 1/2, fresh broccoli corwons, 2 boxes shredded wheat cereal, 2 12 packs of soda, stick margarine,4 boxes granola bars, 2 packages of English muffins, 2 bags bagels, 1 Rye bread, 2 loaves raisin bread, 2 bags tortilla chips, 4 cans whole potatoes, 4 cans mushrooms, 2 cans black olives, 18 ct toilet  paper, cold cuts: turkey,ham, bologna, salami; 3 pkgs sliced cheese for sandwiches: Swiss, Munster, Sharp Cheddar, 1 graham crackers, parsley (dried), 2 cans sweetened condensed milk, baking powder, bananas. $100.21.

I have spent all of February's grocery monies, and have a slight overage of $4.31 that I am carrying over to March.  I do not plan on shopping again for 2 weeks.  Monies are still owed me for March, so hopefully, those not meeting their financial obligations will reimburse me, as required or once again, I will limit what I buy and we will continue to see depleated supplies, reduced choices. It is what it is,

1 comment:

Gill - That British Woman said...

I got my fridge filter from Amazon.ca at a greatly reduced cost than the local stores. However I do try and shop local where ever possible.