Thursday, March 5, 2015

Joining the ranks of Bradlees, Caldors


Image: http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/34/21/54/7412485/3/628x471.jpg

While MY local Xpect has officially closed, and 84 locals have lost their jobs, initially supposedly due to difficulties in coming to terms with the landlord of the shopping plaza where they were located, it has now come out that Xpect will be pulling completely out of CT within 12 months. Really disappointing. Regardless of what the media is saying, the economy is NOT all that great, and these discount suppliers are a true need in this area. Luckily, I have a local Aldi's, and Price Rite is sometimes a good source for a few staples. The bulk of my cleaning supplies are either from my current stash that I have severely depleated, or from Dollar Tree-my new source. I have and am continuing to pare down what I use as well. I also continue to tweak how I cook, and continue to seek alternative sources for our household groceries and supplies.

7 comments:

Gill - That British Woman said...

Target announced in January it's leaving Canada, couldn't compete with Wal-Mart. If it's not one thing it's another.

CT Bargain Mom said...

CRAPPiTY CRAP CRAP! I shop at the one in Cromwell and East Haven (on the way to Yale appts). I love the prices on the green leaf lettuce & bell peppers - not to mention the Cromwell one is on my way to my Hartford errands/appointments.

If we lose that Xpect I will be really bummed out, it's a great place for cold cereLs and stocking stuffers (close outs).

While I like PriceRite, it's farther off the highway and they don't always have what I'm looking for. I have the same problem with Aldi, farther off the main road and selection.

Finding affordable stores to shop at is getting tougher.

CTMOM said...

CTmom-here's the article:

http://www.nhregister.com/business/20150219/xpect-discounts-to-shutter-all-connecticut-stores-within-12-months

CT Bargain Mom said...

Drat!

First the Best Market now this :-(

Frugal in France said...

Birds of a feather, I'm doing that too ! In France, we hear so much about the States, how the economy is picking up and how we should use the same methods. It is only when you hear real testimonies from real people that we can have the true picture ! x

Rachel said...

That seems to be the reality in a lot of places. I know here in our town we have lost Family Dollar and a Big Lots since we moved here 5 years ago. Thankfully we still have a Dollar Tree and Aldi which are constantly busy.

Theresa F said...

I so agree that the economy is NOT as good as the media and government would have us believe. Reading American blogs, it is obvious that people may be employed but are also working, harder and longer for less or stagnant wages.