Thursday, March 19, 2015

Another work luncheon


We were recently asked to bring something in for today's work birthday luncheon, for 2 co-workers. Colleagues had signed up for their usual offerings, and I always try to make something that I know I can turn to as a substantial lunch entree, since often the other's offerings are desserts or luncheon items that I don't care for. I also needed to do this with what is on hand, and on a budget. I decided to make a pasta salad. We have significantly eaten down my pasta stores (a good thing) and I've been restocking with more affordable pasta cuts, not that I've ever spent a lot of money for pasta. While long gone are the 3/$1 or on sale 4/$1 lb boxes of pasta, $1/lb box is easy to find, sometimes it's on sale for 75 or 88 cents. Pictured above is the huge, plastic storage tub that I use for storing elbow macaroni, one of the aforementioned more affordable pasta shapes.


Needing a protein, I grabbed a can of black beans, rinsed and drained them before adding them to the mixing bowl.  I also added some diced celery, diced red onion.

 I then added the cooked pasta, a freshly grated carrot, and a small, organic Kohlrabi that I also shredded.
 I grabbed the orgnic Creamy dill dressing that contains low fat yogurt, and some black pepper.
 Here's the mixed salad.
 Feeling that I needed a garnish, I hard boiled the remaining 6 "cooking" eggs that remained from last week. I tend to mark the egg cartons as "cooking eggs" or "baking eggs" and if I buy more than 2 dozen, I mark them as well as week 1, week 2 etc.
 Here's the container that I prepared to take into work for today.

I had enough leftover to make 2 lunch containers for the youngest 2 to take to school in their lunches. One kidlet, for whom I stopped preparing lunches for as he would simply tote his to school only to eat at home, has been staying after school 3 days a week in order to work out, and asked for lunches for those days, as he often won't return until before supper. He was warned that if the food came home, the extra lunch prep would end. He's been compliant so far. 

Leftovers from lunch were brought home and once again will appear in school lunches, as tomorrow is a Lenten Friday, so no meat will be consumed. 

5 comments:

Gill - That British Woman said...

that looks really good and tasty.

Lili said...

Carol,
I don't know if your Dollar Tree carries this, but our Dollar Tree has 24 oz bags of Pagasa brand macaroni noodles. That works out to 66 cents per pound. That's the best deal that I find on pasta around here.

CTMOM said...

Lili,
Yes! I have recently found Pagassa pasta at DT, 24 oz pkgs of spaghetti and elbow macaroni. That IS a good bargain. I still have some "fancier" pasta cuts such as farfalle that I am reserving for upcoming meals, but as with all line items in our budget, esp. the grocery budget, if I can get a quality substitution elsewhere, I am. Soon, I suspect that we'll only have the ordinary pasta cuts on hand. Not a big deal, don't get me wrong, just an example of a simple change we are making.

Lili said...

I'll check our DT for the spaghetti pasta, as well. Thanks for the heads-up!

DW said...

Thanks for the tip on the Pagassa pasta! I'll check DT next time I go!