Saturday, March 7, 2015

Another rental repair

On Monday afternoon, DS # 1 reported that one of the garage door openers died. I contacted the LL, she had a neighbor call me and discuss what the issue was (I thought he was asked to repair it initially) but based on our conversation, he diagnosed the problem, contacted the LL, who called a garage door repair company, who came out this morning. As the neighbor correctly diagnosed, the sproket broke. These garage door openers must be original to the 1976 home.  Gear replaced plus $59 labor charge totaled $199.93. I checked on line, a new one costs $149. I would have asked for an estimate and compared the repair vs replacement, as much as I prefer fixing to disposing of something. Shrug. The LL is pretty astute financially speaking-really not my worry, which is one of the perks of renting. I remain pleased that when I've had maintenance issues (dead dishwasher and now the garage door opener), the LL has been right on top of taking care of the issue.

2 comments:

Gill - That British Woman said...

its good that you have a good landlord.

CTMOM said...

Gill, after dealing with the LL at the former rental, this is the polar opposite!