Thursday, March 5, 2015

A quick fall back plan

Very late afternoon appointment in a town some distance from home yesterday, translated into getting home later than usual. I had received an e-mail from Aldi's which alerted me to a Wed meat deal on point cut corned beef (my must have list)on sale @ $1.99. I had been watching prices, and it's been selling for twice that and more! Since we were also out of milk, and had just opened the second, aka backup, quart of 1/2 & 1/2, stopping in at Aldi's as we drove home was added to the list. Here's what I bought:

1 pkg hamburger buns (yet another snow storm and a strong possibility of no school/work for today)
2 take n bake pizzas (spending $10 is far cheaper than a pizzeria and about what it costs me to make)
2 quarts 1/2 & 1/2
2 gallons 1% milk
4 corned beef (2 for St Pats, 2 for the future)

$52.24 spent.

As mentioned in a previous post (http://ctonabudget.blogspot.com/2015/03/my-knee-jerk-reaction-31667.html), my funds for March are severely cut back for groceries. I started with $316.67, deducted $4.31 for a slight overage from February, leaving me $312.36. After today's stop, I have $260.12. I anticipate needing carrots, flour, sugar to get me thru to the end of the month (at this point) in addition to the usual perishables: milk, eggs, 1/2 & 1/2. I continue to use substitutions whenever possible, especially if it also means culling lurkers out of the pantry.

1 comment:

Belinda said...

Great price on the corned beef!