Monday, February 2, 2015

"Watch the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves"


Image: http://www.npg.si.edu/exhibit/legacy/slideshow/gallery/album1/large/lgben.jpg

"Watch the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves." a famous quote from Benjamin Franklin,  is so very true as the small things in day to day living really DO make an impact, when combined, upon the overall budget and finances. Some examples:

 I only really needed 1/2 of this large onion for a pot of soup. In order to preserve it for another day, I placed it in a washed out bag that previously held brown sugar. Add a clip, and this saves me from using a purchased, baggie although regardless of which type of bag I use, since this is only holding a vegetable (all meat containing bags are tossed), I'd rewash and reuse this bag as much as possible before tossing it out.
 2 athletic undershirts have previously been mended but are now so worn and frayed, more rips in them. Time to go. I cut off the top shoulder straps, throwing those out, and then made some super soft, cotton rags for cleaning. I do not use paper towels. One less expense.
Kidlet needed a snack so I got creative. I scrapped the last bit of Aldi's "nutella" out of the jar and topped some saltines with it. Jar is now recycled, another item written on the ever growing, grocery list, and the kitchen cupboard has more room in it. This worked. Kidlet got a treat, didn't feel deprived. 

3 comments:

Belinda said...

We tried the Aldi version of Nutella for the first time this weekend. It is very good. We dipped pretzels in ours. Will keep the cracker idea in mind. :)

CTMOM said...

Belinda, we have to use what is on hand. I am currently out significant grocery monies, and it impacts my ability and willingness to shop

Gill - That British Woman said...

every little bit helps. You should join this site: http://www.scottishmultimedia.co.uk/phpbb/index.php?sid=92fc5b9e8a07de0cab3a6aab6bfcf570

It is a site where saving money, resuing, reducing and making do is what everyone does. It is a British site and the forums are great.

Gill in Canada