Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Tracking groceries, take 2

Image: http://eatathomecooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/grocery-list-money-1024x680.jpg

As of last posting, I had spent $209.82 towards groceries this month (February) with a total budget of  $416.67 ($100 still owed me, once that shows up, there would technically be an additional $100), leaving $205.85 for the next 2 weeks.

Today found me in the city. List in hand, I bought the following:

Aldi's: celery, 2 cukes, 2 jugs milk, 1- 8 ct pkg AA batteries, 2 pkgs chocolate chips, 3 pkgs sliced cheeses (non American), pouch of sliced Pepperoni, 4 pkgs marked down chicken drums (ended up paying just under 80 cents/lb), 2 spicy brown mustards, sa;t, mayonnaise, stick margarine, 4 lbs dry navy pea beans, 2 bags tortilla chips, rye bread, 2 quarts 1/2 & 1/2, 2 boxes "honey nut cheerios, walnuts. Spent $57.09

Dollar Tree: 2- 32 washload count bottles of laundry detergent, 1- 50 oz bottle LA's amazing dish soap, 4- 250 count bozes Scotties tissues, 2 pkgs Goya waffer cookies, 4 multi pack fun size chocolates, 4- 5.3 oz bonus size Crest toothpaste, 2 VO5 cream rinse, 2 bags  fzn tater tots, 2 bags fzn onion rings. Spent $24.08

PRice Rite: 2 large bottles ketchup, 4 28 oz cans tomato sauce (was only charged for 3 in error), dill spears, nutella, 2 bags potato chips, 2 lbs butter, quart buttermilk. Spent $17.80

A few days ago DD picked up a jug of milk for me at Aldi's, I've just repaid her: $2.89

Total new expenditure: $101.86. Monies left $103.99 (with an anticpated $100 more, once reimbursed)

2 comments:

Theresa F said...

How do you find the detergent and dish soap from the DT? I saw it there and was hesitant to try it.

CTMOM said...

Theresa, I have tried a few of the dish soaps sold at DT. Their regular one is plain watery, so I use twice as much-not a bargain. I was not impressed. I DO like and continue to buy the large 50 oz bottles of LA's amazing Ultra dish washing liquid(many of their items for cleaning are used here) and am quite happy with it. There are assorted scents, if that is a factor for you. Due to teh D/W being broken, I've been hand washing dishes for almost 3 weeks now, using this detergent. It gets the job done, not a ton of suds, but that isn't necessarily bad (septic here). I like the lavender and grapefruit scents. I also use LA's amazing liquid laundry detergent with awesome results. 32 count wash, oversized bottle. My laundry is clean. For spot removing, I turn to LA's amazing orange degreaser. I originally bought it in a spray bottle, now buy refills sold in quarts. Cheap! I buy generic brillo pads at DT, aas well as Sun brand dish washer powder (I use 2 small boxes/month, running the D/W on average once/day). I am currently using my stash of dryer sheets, whenever I finally use them up (line dry year round save towels), I have no qualms turning to dryer sheets and liquid softeners sold at DT. HTH