Saturday, February 14, 2015

Saturday soup: Beef barley

 Saturday soup for supper this week, is a planned soup that uses my last 3, frozen, meaty, beef shank bones. I had these for some time, according to the label, good to use them up. Sad thing is, that they are an expensive item that I only buy when marked down, like these 2 packages were. I haven't seen marked downs in a long time.
 I first browned these off, using some reserved pork fat
 Added a large, sliced onion, water, salt and pepper and let this simmer, covered for 3 hours.
 Carrots, celery, Bay leaf, and naturally, barley were called into service.
 This also gave me an opportunity to use yet more of the older potatoes-a good thing
Here's the finished soup,


A nice, heary soup tonight!
come and get it, grab some crackers when you are hungry!
I also made 2 loaves of white sandwich bread for the upcoming week.

2 comments:

Gill - That British Woman said...

LOVE, LOVE beef barley soup. Agree those beef shanks were pricey at full price.

Ms. Sandie Apuzzo said...

This looks delicious. Will try it soon!