Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Making do stew



 This week's meat based stew, is our first attempt at trying a new to use meat, acquired through my organic CSA. Only a lb, but it'll have to do. Reminds me a lot of pork, which is what I was told. I naturally braised it in some reserved bacon fat. : )
 Traditional stew veggies" celery, potatoes, mushrooms, onion, carrot. I skipped the garlic as it's in the Mrs Dash beef stew seasoning packet:
Basically corn starch, spices, dehydrated vegetables
 It asks for 3 Tbsp of tomato paste (I think it could be skipped) but I am out. I substituted this lurking marinara dipping sauce from a fast food meal of the older kids. It contained 2 Tbsp worth-I measured!
 I added 1 Tbsp ketchup

I followed the directions otherwise and here is the end product. I needed to bulk it out for my gang of 6 in total. No white beans at the ready, my preference so I raided the cellar pantry again:
A drained can of green beans and one of corn.
Much better. We're about to leave for some appointments, nice to know that we will come home to this.

4 comments:

Sandie Apuzzo said...

Looks fantastic. What was the verdict at dinner time?

mikemax said...

Wasn't this goat meat, or some such? I have never eaten goat.

CTMOM said...

Sandie-everyone ate it, there was none left, not even the extras that I set aside with a note "take more if you want." I was tired, turned in early before the older kids got home. Never got a chance to clue them in that we were eating something new. : )

CTMOM said...

Max, yes, it was goat meat, aka "chevre." Interesting taste, like pork but a bit gamier, kind of like lamb has a distinc flavor. I can't see wasting this organic protein. We ate it. I wouldn't necessarily run out and buy some special. New CSA registration just came out, they are eliminating the meat from them (too many vegetarians complained I am guessing) and if desired, I can still buy meat from them, paying out of pocket, an additional charge