Monday, February 23, 2015

Frugal hot pot

Once again making an adaptation of this Frugal Queen's recipe:

http://www.frugalqueen.co.uk/2014/02/sausage-hotpot-for-67p-portion.html


Supper ingredients
 I lieu of baking off the cut up sausages, I pan fried them, first using a bit of reserved poultry fat to get them started. This reduced my need to use cooking oil.
 Peeled and sliced potatoes were cooked, drained to cool
 After removing the cooked sausage pieces to an awaiting 13 x 9 x 2 pan, I prepared the vegetable filling, using organic Kohlrabi that I shredded, canned green beans in lieu of fzn mixed vegetables, which I am out of. I also used home made chicken stock, rather than turning to bouillon. I have it on hand, why not take advantage of it? No brown sauce, so once again I substituted ketchup and Worcestershire sauce
 Here's the prepared filling now joining the cooked sausage, which is hot Italian sausage that was bought on marked down. My meat reserves are definately reducing.
 Here's the fully assembled hot pot


I did drizzle some Canola oil over the potatoes and since I don't use garlic salt, I turned to this salt free garlic seasoning instead. I am baking this @ 350F for 40 minutes.

 Freshly baked off
My supper plate. Came out a bit soupy this time, no worries. Tastes great.

6 comments:

Gill - That British Woman said...

looks yummy.

Belinda said...

Looks delicious. :)

Theresa F said...

That looks so good!

CTMOM said...

The fact that none was left after supper tells me that we like it!

CTMOM said...

The fact that none was left after supper tells me that we like it!

Dawn said...

My mouth is watering just looking a this! :)