Saturday, January 17, 2015

It's the small things

 I collected several soap slivers and scaps recently so I decided that it was time to make another soap cake. I forgot just how many slivers are actually needed, so I ended up with too little so my final end product was more of a blob, as when I realized that I had so little "soap" I pushed the liquified product into one side of the mini Tupperware container that I use as a soap mold.



 It'll smooth out over time, so no worries. My goal is simply to avoid waste. Pictured above is a bit of a Lush bar http://www.lushusa.com/Soap/soap,en_US,sc.html  as well as some slivers from the bathroom sinks and in the middle is the marbled soap cake that I made last month or so. Each one is truely unique!
Beef prices are ridiculous, and it's less and less on our menus. An exception this weekend for Sunday supper is the frozen London Broil that I bought back in June @ $1.99/lb. It is now marinating in the rest of some cheap Italian dressing that I bought just for marinating. $1/16 oz bottle that provides me with enough (I use 1 cup each time) for 2 marinades, this is cheap enough. Salad oil has also gone up in price. While I haven't done the math, I assume that my trick is more frugal.

8 comments:

Belinda said...

Meat is on our menus less and less as well. I just read an article over at ...

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/ali-meyer/despite-decline-cpi-food-index-increases-december

which stated, "the price index for meats, poultry, fish and eggs hit a record high, ".

About eggs it said the following...

grade A eggs hit a record high price.

Grade A eggs cost $1.199 a pound. Since then, the price has increased 84.3%.

Just unreal. :(

Theresa F said...

Beef is hardly on our menu anymore either
and my b12 levels were very low because of it. Still vitamins are cheaper than red meat.

My 16 year old is a fan of Lush products. The first time I went in a store I was stunned. The products look like the were made in kindergarten craft classes with exorbitant prices to boot. My daughter used her own gift money so I kept my thoughts to myself(well...mostly). I like your idea of forming new soap out of slivers. How do you form them?

CTMOM said...

theresa, DD gifts both herself and us with Lush products, which I do like. She takes advantage of sales, as she does. As far as how I make my soap cakes:

http://ctonabudget.blogspot.com/2014/07/a-soap-experiment-tweaking-what-i.html

Click on the above link (copy and paste) and see my new technique for making them

CTMOM said...

Belinda, that report is grim. I continue doing what I can to keep our expenditures in check, before resorting to increasing the budgeted amount for groceries.

Beth in CT said...

Thought of you this week when I hit our local Xpect. Extra large eggs were $1.59. Trying to keep grocery budget down is a constant battle.

Kelly Campbell said...

Guess I was the lucky one this week. I received, at the beginning of December, a coupon "booklet" from Kroger (they send one every 4-6 weeks) which includes (I am guessing) coupons based on items you regularly buy. One of said coupons was for a free dozen large eggs. The other freebie was a jar of Ragu pasta sauce.

CTMOM said...

Beth-that is a good price for eggs! I still remember buying XL eggs all the time for years, @ 67/dozen. Those days are long gone.

CTMOM said...

Kelly, nice freebies!