Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Crock Pot Tuesday and planned overs= turkey chilli!

 Before turning in for the night on Monday, I reviewed my menu plans and grabbed the ingredients out of the pantry that I would need. I took 1 large crash n burn can of kidney beans (74 cents) and 2 pints of home canned organic CSA tomatoes
 I then had second thoughts and decided to make a double batch for planned overs later this week. I also needed to bring up some more corn meal-yet another stock item that we used up. Good to have an extra already on hand, and nice to note that it was also a crash n burn selection. I placed the tomatoes, the rinsed and drained beans, along with the 1/2 of a large onion from the fridge that I later chopped, some salt and chilli powder in the awaiting Crock Pot. This morning, all I had to do was grab the bag of leftover roasted turkey and chop about 4 cups worth of meat up, adding that eventually to the awaiting Crock Pot. I turned it on at 5:30 this morning, and came home about 12 hours later to this:
 Perfect on a day that is 12 degrees in the sunshine!
 We eat for 7 p.m. so I had time to mix up a double recipe batch of my Southern style, buttermilk corn bread.
I also shredded some Colby Jack cheese bought on sale in Dec.

3 comments:

Shara said...

This looks good!

Do you look at your pantry when you make your meal plans or do you make them based on your general idea of what you keep on hand?

CTMOM said...

Shara, when I menu plan during month ! for the upcoming month (number 2), I start with what I have on hand. I then use a calendar and create my menus, following general themes linked with the days of the week: Sun-big meat meal, Mon-fish, Tues-Crockpot/quick and easy, Wed-leftovers, Th-Crock pot/Quick and easy and usually vegetarian, too; Fri-leftovers, Sat-soup/sandwich. I create my menus and then a list of what (little) I will need to purchase to complete the menus. The bulk of my grocery monies are used for stocking up on deals (which become the next month's menu offerings) as well as replenishing the usual, staple items such as milk, eggs, juice, butter, flour etc.

Shara said...

Thanks. I'm trying to figure the best way to accomplish this through the winter months. I have a lot going on. Daughter will be in college and I'll be driving her back and forth. I'll also be doing our seasonal tax work and then working full time on weekends. I normally make a mental list of what I have on hand and plan from that as I go, but I feel like I will need something a little more structured through April 15th this year.