Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Brrr!

Image: http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/lancasteronline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/4/16/416dbdfd-a861-54fd-8a23-7f562a77b2d2/52cd5d8543655.image.jpg

It's a balmy 11 degrees F and quickly falling, here in CT @ just shy of 7 p.m. Forecast is for -2 F overnight with a wind chill of -20F. Dangerously cold, warming shelters are open, etc.

No worries, this calls for a nice, hot pot of homemade soup for supper. DS# 1's GF has a nasty cold, which I may be fighting. : (  
I grabbed my recently made, turkey carcass stock, some carrots, an onion, some celery stocks, some leftover roast turkey, some herbs, some star pasta cuts, water.

 Extra pan of cornbread made last night.
 Here was my supper. Now I need to change into a flannel nightie, get ready for the night, but not without first running a load of colored clothes, and hanging them on my Winter dryer:


This system works very well for me, I've taken most of yesterday's down, and more still, since taking this photo.

6 comments:

Jill Truelove said...

I am a mom to three teenagers and just would like to let you know how much I enjoy reading your blog and really look forward to new posts. I am not nearly as frugal as you are, but you are an inspiration and a motivation to try and become more frugal.

Shara said...

We are supposed to hit a whopping 16 by 6 AM and that is cold for my Southern bones.

Stay warm! I'm envious of your fire tonight.

DW said...

Well, it's a balmy -2 here at 9 p.m. and we're supposed to hit -10 by morning. I had homemade soup, too!

Shanna said...

Brr indeed! I live in Northern Indiana (not to far from the Michigan line) & right now on this sunny, beautiful Thursday morning we are sitting at -5 with a windchill of -32 degrees & it's 10:20 a.m. It's suppose to be cold like this for the next 2 days b4 warming up into the 20's starting Sunday. 20's will feel like a heatwave after this wk lol

Belinda said...

Hope you all stay warm during this cold weather. Soup is a good choice to stay warm.

Donna Freedman said...

We hang out clothes to dry as well, close to the fireplace insert (in effect a small woodstove).
While I was away my partner put up a clothesline on a pulley system. Now he and I can stand on the back deck and hang stuff out vs. standing in the snow to do it. In the winter that's mostly putting our bedclothes out, because it's so nice to sleep on air-freshened sheets:
http://donnafreedman.com/2013/09/01/9-frugal-mood-enhancers/