Monday, December 1, 2014

What's cooking?

 Did some baking late yesterday, to help with this current work/school week. First: a pan of brownies with pecans (gifted to me), using my last box mix
 I baked off the sugar pumpkins and froze the puree in 2 cup increments. I had a tad leftover, to which I added some banana puree to make these banana-chocolate chip muffins, substitiuting buttermilk and oil for the butter listed. I am hoping for another low grocey shopping week, so we are making do with what is on hand.  I still have more banana puree left, I'll have to decide what I want to do with that.  We still have enough bought bread for another day, but I will then have to pull out the ABM's and make some more.
 Tonight's (Mon) fish supper is using one can of wild caught, Alaskan red sockeye salmon. I forget how much I paid, but I am guessing about $4 when it normally sells for well over $8. We haven't been able to have this variety for some time. I love how the brine from the can will color my white sauce a pretty pink color.
 I start with sauteeing a large sliced onion, cut into slivers (I am using the 3/4 of a large one that remained in the fridge)with butter (tonight I am using stick margarine so as to conserve the butter). I will make a roux with some all purpose flour,
 dill weed, black pepper before adding the 2 cups of brine plus whole milk (we're almost out of 1% so I took DS's whole milk as I had almost a full gallon).


 Once this simmers, it will thicken.
 This will be served over boiled potatoes. You can see that I have a variety in the cellar bin.
Microwaved, frozen, Price Rite store brand peas (USA product) with a pat of margarine will round out the meal. Simple, easy.

3 comments:

Marcia in rural WNY said...

I did a little experiment today in the kitchen. I had about 2/3 cup of pumpkin puree left and no muffin recipe that called for that amount. SO I made a basic plain muffin recipe (from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook--early 60's edition) and it said as a variation I could add a cup of blueberries. Instead I added the 2/3 cup of pumpkin puree and about a teaspoon of apple pie spice (Penzey's) which I had in the cupboard. They turned out to taste quite nice, without excessive sweetness, and it made 14 muffins. At any rate, that large can of pumpkin is finished!

mikemax said...

I've never made creamed salmon, but I do like fish--and especially salmon--with potatoes.

Catherine said...

Hope all is well, Carol :-)