Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Tuesday's planned over meal: a special treat for us

 Planned overs: some of the Christmas day ham was portioned out and cubed ahead of time for Tuesday's supper: homemade macaroni and cheese, using a combination of shredded cheese ends (I am out now, except for a bit of Provolone-so Deli ends are on my list today), and the aforementioned ham. Fluid milk prices are again rising, cheapest at Aldi's was $2.89 this week, so now I have to explore the price of 5 gallon boxes of instant milk (Shoprite store brand is what I have used for years, making the sale price $2.42 gallon for milk as a comparison). I made a double batch, as always, and there is only one lunch sized container left. : )
A bag of frozen broccoli florettes (I prefer not to use steam bags, transfering the food to a Pyrex dish instead)that I got by combining a sale plus a coupon, was cooked in the microwave. A green salad (mixed baby lettuces, black olives, chopped tomato) with choice of homemade dressings was also available.

3 comments:

Julie Vidani said...

isn't it strange that milk is now more expensive per gallon than gasoline?

mikemax said...

What's for dinner? Same thing you are having! I cooked double the last time I made mac and cheese (with ham cubes!) and I am thawing the second half of it right now. Macaroni and cheese is not supposed to freeze well, but it is just fine if it has a lot of sauce. It's New Year's Eve and I'm taking a break from cooking. I'll make a green salad, and that will be IT. Happy New Year, Carol.

DW said...

I don't buy the steam bags either ... unless it's a really good deal. Most of the ones I've seen are 10-12 ounces, compared with the 16 oz regular bags.