Friday, November 28, 2014

Making the best of a good thing

 We ended up having out Thanksgiving dinner more mid than early afternoon yesterday, due to DS's work schedule. Afterwards, I sliced up the breast meat, and stored that in the fridge for sandwiches and tonight's dinner: a mini Thanksgiving, round 2. 14 cups of meat was taken off of the carcass and frozen for future meals. All of the bones, skin and pan dripppings were placed in my largest Crockpot, a 7 quart model. It was soon evident that I needed a second one! I had roasted an almost 21 lb bird.
 Initially, I grabbed my "normal" sized one(4 quarts?) but that was too small, so I turned to this second, large sized one, and was able to just make it in. Water was added a bit so as to make a rich bone stock. These simmered overnight.
 I planned carefully this year, and besides the aforementioned turkey meat, we have few leftovers: a 2 cup container of mashed potatoes, another same sized of green bean casserole, a 1 cup container of sweet potatoe casserole, 1/2 of a cup of creamed onions, a cup of gravy, a 3 (?) cup casserole of sausage stuffing.




This morning, I strained the broth, ending up with 7 1/2 quarts of rich stock. Most will be frozen, some used as soup for tomorrow, possibly for more gravy tonight. I also have cranberry relish, pies leftover. The leftover Crescent rolls were topped with jam and eaten by one kidlet for bfst today, I had some cranberry muffins, with more still remaining.
I am always amazed at how much meat remains on the carcass after I debone it, thinking that I have gotten every morsel. Once the bones are strained and cool enough to handle, I pick thru them once more to get every last scrap. I ended up with an additonal, 2 cups of meat, which I will add to tomorrow's soup pot.

2 comments:

Marcia in rural WNY said...

My "gravy boat" looks a lot like yours, ie., a glass measuring cup. I have a metal one but it doesn't hold much gravy, and the china one that goes to my dishes is long gone! Great minds think alike!

CTMOM said...

Marcia, I do have a complete set of china, but since it's edged in silver, it requires hand washing, something I just didn't want to deal with especially as I am not too keen with my sink area/dish drying pad vs a plastic rack. So we used everyday dishes, it was fine. : )